Warning when deleting Sketches in new version

I think it would be very helpful to give a warning when attempting to delete a sketch with associated bodies. For those of us who don’t always read the release notes for new versions of the program (primarily just human beings, but still quite a few people :joy:), it can be disconcerting or even disastrous for anyone who doesn’t realize what is about to happen. Possibly, the warning could be optional and user configurable, but considering the very few instances where deleting a sketch is useful and the potential consequences of a mistake, it is probably best to always give a warning whenever someone tries to delete a sketch which has been “used”. Unused sketches (i.e. no associated body has been yet created or modified) could be deleted without delay.

Lack of this feature won’t stop me from using the program, but (based on a number of recent forum comments) it will help prevent mistakes by new users.

7 Likes

Hello Steve,

Agree. But can anyone advise what happened when you do, besides the main working item disappears? It says “fix”, so you press “fix”, and?
I find most of the items I’m dealing with, in the “fix” section, are needing rework anyways. Bad structure and or incorrect solid implementation from beginning.

But if “fix” doesn’t work, can I just delete anyways? Please advise.

Thank you.

Parametric history is a fantastic new feature — which can be confusing! As you’ve noticed, sketches and bodies are connected, and deleting a sketch will remove its associated body, PLUS everything subsequently derived from that operation. The simplest cure is to Undo the delete and everything will return to its prior state.

The Fix command is named completely accurately – and is even more confusing. Fix appears in one or more steps in the history list when that step can no longer be completed. The History is just a list of operations you have performed where each individual operation is basically DO something TO something.

For example, often your very first operation is (DO) extrude (TO) a plane surface from a sketch. If you remove the sketch, the extrude operation no longer knows what surface you want it to extrude. When you press the Fix button, you are asked to select WHAT you want to extrude. Shapr3D will even give you an orange colored Hint as to what the original object was, but you can pick something else if you want. Or, if you really don’t need that particular body any more, you can delete the extrude step from the history list.

However, as I said, one change might result in a LOT of Fixes appearing in the history list because so many operations can build off some prior body. But fixing the original will often fix them all. I’ve found this to be very useful in woodworking, when, for example, the size of a bunch of drawers is related to the location of a particular frame member and I need to change the construction method towards the end of the design.

Note: there will often be multiple dependancies in one operation, e.g. mirror planes, rotation axes, etc. but the general principle is always the same. Whatever information Shapr needed when you first did the operation will need to be replaced / restored to Fix the problem.

As I said, confusing at first, but the more you learn, the more powerful (and indispensable) it becomes. I really like being able to Direct Model the sketches now, in addition to DMing the bodies like we’ve always been able to do. The ability to use sketch constraints on some dimensions while leaving others free to move allows me to make adjustments without breaking things.

1 Like

Hi CJ,

Sure. Give it a try. Pay attention to the rest of your design. If you delete a sketch that only has bearing on something that was wrong in the first place. If you realize that sketch has some important information to good parts of your design, use undo as @Steve says.

Another way to achieve this would be to “suppress” the sketch step in the history. Or add a breakpoint.

1 Like

Bob and Steve, thank you.

Will keep working at it till I get it.

Hello Bob & Steve,

Is there a set of instructions on how to history menu works? Attached are a couple of screen shots that try to tell me what to do, but do I start at the lower section first and work my way up or? And how do we navigate. I am using the trial and error method and, so far, haven’t “broken anything yet”.

If you could help point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Hi CJ,

For problems, I go from the top down. This is because the history timeline is top down, and sometimes fixing the first error will correct many that follow. Example: if you make a change that has the effect of deleting a face, then any following actions, like fillet, or extrude that depend on that face will also be an error.

One method I use is to make a duplicate of the project, and name it something silly like “erase me” Then I’ll try different things and keep pushing until I do break something, or can learn how to fix that type of error. When you know that nothing will be lost (because you are not working on the real project) you can do things that you otherwise may not try. Then, when done with that learning exercise, delete the “erase me” project and apply what was learned on the real project.

As for a set of instructions, there are a number of tutorials called out in the Manual. I hadn’t been there for a while, so thank you for the nudge! :grinning: A search on “history” came up with a number of interesting articles. There are many more, here are a few:

Thank you. Will explore the links now.
Great idea on the “erase me”. Using Shapr format of course.

You’re welcome, CJ, I hope it helps. As for the “erase me”, I don’t export a file, I’ll just duplicate on the Project page (you cannot be in “Recents”) then rename.

Hello Bob,
Forgot about that part, good point. Thanks.
I will work on this today. Seems I ended up with some extra bodies which need sorting. I am just “assuming” that this is part of the move/transition from DM to HBPM. I must have drawn a flaw into the drawing and now it needs fixing.
Out of curiosity will also go back in time and see if any of the older drawings have a similar issue.

CJ, if you select one in the Items sidebar then open the History sidebar you can see what steps in history are making that body. (Well, that is the case if you made the body using the HBPM version)

Hello Bob,

Yes, been “wandering through it”… Getting there.
Need to get this sorted. The items are basically irrelevant now, they have been superseded. But the history is still there. Will copy the drawing and do as you mentioned.

Also noticed this morning that I ended up with this folder showing up in the drawing, so per instructions deleted the folder.

1 Like