Slow performance and countless 2D drawings

Shapr3D is very slow on my M2 Macbook.

I look in my 2D drawing “folder” and discover that I have over one thousand drawings, mostly blank and of the same “Body 922” (that no longer exists).

There is no way I intentionally created all these drawings; I presume these are artefacts of a bug that existed at some point (or perhaps still exists) in Shapr3D.

Given that there is no way to bulk delete drawings, I have created a MacOS automator task to delete them via the UI one by one. I will run this task over the course of several nights in a vain attempt to restore Shapr3D’s performance.

My current suspicion is that drawings associated with an object/folder of objects are copied every time that object/folder is duplicated, and then not removed when the associated object/folder is deleted, leading to a quiet explosion of 2D drawings and a catastrophic degradation of app performance for workflows that involve routine duplication of objects.

You are welcome for my investigating this issue despite your previous straightforward deletion of my post regarding it.

Hi,

Did you happen to import .shapr files to this workspace?

Could you also open a support ticket and upload the problematic file so we can investigate?

If I find a way to eliminate the IP while maintaining the issue, I’ll attach the .shapr.

1 Like

Here is the exported .shapr file with all but one object deleted from it. All the drawings remain (well “all” after I have manually deleted about 120). I note that despite only containing a single object, the file is over 500MB.

I don’t know if all features of the performance degradation are retained, given nearly all the objects have been deleted for IP reasons; but as far as I can tell, some issues do remain:

1. Switching to visualization mode takes around 15 seconds on my M2 Macbook Air
  2. Exporting a .shapr file takes 10+ seconds

Thanks, I’ll check it.

Did you import .shapr files into this workspace?

When deleting models, did you delete the related drawings?

This is a long-running project and so .shapr files will have been imported to this file and, the “delete related drawings” will have been answered “yes” and “no” at various times.

I did not get the “delete related drawings” dialog when deleting all the objects for the purposes of supplying you with this file.

I found nothing inherently wrong / buggy with the workspace, so it would be nice to know which .shapr files were imported into it.

One scenario that would explain the amount of drawings, is if you have imported for example a component in .shapr format, and it already had drawings. Since .shapr contains all data (visualization, and drawings too, not only the models), any time you import them, the drawings are added to the list. This way it’s quite easy to reach large amount of drawings. Since each one of them has 2 thumbnails (light and dark), and the drawing’s data itself, this also explains why the file size grows so much. So what I can suggest for now, is not to include drawings in models you plan to reuse, especially multiple times in a model, but save them without drawings. One convenient way for it is using x_t since it only contains the models themself, and nothing elese.

On the same note, we do plan on improving the multi-drawing selection because it’s not great as it is, as well as performance of the app.

1 Like

OK thank you. I’ll try the x_t approach to exclude the drawings.

Exporting as x_t and then importing to a fresh file solves the visualisation-mode-switch performance issue. Thank you very much.

1 Like

I’m happy that it helped :slight_smile: