Standard Threads and Fasteners

Hi There:

Can anyone share some best practices for dealing with common threads and fasteners? For example, if I wanted to extrude four holes on a mounting bracket, is there a way I could select the hole and make is a 10-32 thread counter-sunk for a flat-head fastener?

Even if I have to custom develop the thread using other methods, once I do that, can I save it as a tool to apply to different models in the future? Ideally, I would like a library of common elements such as this so I can reuse them when needed. Any thoughts or creative ideas?

1 Like

After creating your ‘tool’, you could export and save it in a folder on your PC/Mac ready to be imported into another design later.

1 Like

For threads, you seem to be on the right path. I import bolts from McMaster, align them, the subtract from my bodies.

Hi Tom,

That sounds like the right way to go. Thanks for the advice.

Respectfully,

Keith Odland
m: 512-466-7644

2 Likes

I was under the impression you wanted a way to save a custom ‘tool’ for re-use. I guess I misunderstood the post :flushed:

Thanks, Steve. I don’t think you misunderstood the request. Ideally, if I want a threaded hole through a bracket, I click on something, and it “extrudes" a threaded hole. Ideally, when I selected this option, I could choose which faster I wanted to use in the library, and it would create the thread with the appropriate tolerancing. I’m still new to this, so most of this is a work in progress.

Respectfully,

Keith

Keith Odland
keith.odland@gmail.com
512-466-7644

1 Like