Surface modeling?

A big feature i am missing in Shapr 3D is surface modeling / freeform modeling.
A comparable too to the freeform tool seen in for example fusion 360. Allowing to create freeform planes, letting them intersect and creating a solid from this would be a really powerful tool.

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:
Creating a more organic or flowing 3D shape will allor to create complex forms. I.e. exterior car parts like bonnets, fenders etc.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:
The possibility to create more complex shapes without to much effort that gets in the way of the creative flow.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?
I.e. I am on a project of rebuilding a car. I want to create custom bodypanels and various other parts. This tool would allow to do this within shapr3D. Currently i have to import and export between Fusion360 and shapr3D which does not benefit the workflow at all. (One program to rule them all!)

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?
Yes. Like stated above. Importing and exporting between software does never help a workflow or the structural benefit of 3D models etc. Besides this, there is a need to manage the project files on several systems to keep them updated. The risk of lost or outdated files increases immensly.

2 Likes

Hi @Team-Tawashi, car design is not in the focus of Shapr3D. For surface modeling, we have guided lofts, sweeps, G2 blends, setback blends, Y-vertex blends, and we’ll add more options to these features with the parametric release. However car design requires specialized tools, and we are not aiming to compete with those. Regardless you can achieve nice results with the current surface modeling tools that Shapr3D offers.

These are just twee screenshots i took of a guitar prop from a videogame.
Due to the body having several curves it is much easier to create this in a curved 3D surface.
When i intersect this with a different surface to “close” the object i can create a solid out of it.

I’m convinced this would allow for a much faster and easier workflow for allot of people is several branches. Especially combined with shapr’s new parametric tools this would be a immense powerfull tool for allot of creative minds. :slight_smile:

Hi Istvan,

Thanks for your swift reply!

Car design is only one instance where i think this would be of great help.
Right now some shapes feel incredibly head breaking to create.

I think this feature would also be of great help to other branches and creators. For example cosplayers, costume design, movie props etc. Basically anything with a more free-formed shape.

I’m about to make some screenshots on a side project i’m doing.
(Screenshots incoming…)

4 Likes