Surface Pro 8, Win 11 + Slim Pen 2 Camera Controls

Greetings,

I’m new to Shapr3D and modern modeling/cad software (Miss you AutoCAD2000). I’m using a Surface Pro 8 with the Slim Pen 2 on Windows 11. On the Surface Pro the Pen is recognized from a few millimeters above the actual screen. This happens with the table and not something specific to Shapr3D.

I’m trying to do the tutorials using the pen as my primary input method and there is a step to hold shift to select multiple objects. The pen activating above the screen while holding shift, the camera moves with the pen. This makes it difficult to select anything since the camera pans/moves with the mouse movement.

I don’t see any settings for changing key mappings on the Windows version and searching if others have had this issue, nothing concrete comes up. Most suggestions were to replace the pen nubs or the pen itself. I have some nubs coming, but I have seen similar interactions with Pen devices that aren’t Wacom or Apple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When making selections with a pen, you don’t need to use Shift to select multiple items: tapping them toggles the selection state so you can just keep on adding new items to your selection set by simply tapping them. Are selection can be started by holding down the tip of your pen for a short while.

1 Like

That’s great to know! Is there something in that starter tutorial that I missed where it says that? Don’t remember if there was anything specific to how to use things with a pen or just assuming Mouse and Keyboard.

Hmm, come to think of it, we don’t specifically teach multi-selection in any of the shorter tutorials. But this manual page has all the details:

1 Like