Tangents

Another thing bothers me about this app.
If I draw two lines and a circle in between, wouldn’t common sense say that if I try to put the circle tangent it would actually move tangent? No…the freaking line before that moves! - Say what!?

In addition to that… wouldn’t it make sense to lock every line or curve by default, then if editing needed one has to remove lock? I mean, doesn’t it make sense that what I first drew is what I intend to keep?
All items moving around way too often is just not what I want to spend time correcting. Not a professional CAD guy but I bought my first CAD machine w/ Cadkey back in -94 so I have a decent sense of what makes just that, sense.
Looking currently at three, Fusion360, Rhino or Shapr3d. I want something that I understand, not CAD that I need to “baby-sit” and question.
Right now I’m fluttered.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback - the behaviour you are looking for makes a lot of sense, and at the moment the team is rethinking how and what should move during sketching/dimensioning/constraining.

Made a note of your issues and we will come up with a solution to the unexpectedly moving elements. Don’t have a timeline for it yet, but we have already started to polish the sketching experience.

4 Likes

Thanks! Just went through your Help and realized that much of constraints is not thought through at all unfortunately. I mean, when you build a house you make sure the foundation is solid before you start. You’ve made such progress with this product so just stick to flow and common sense. If I just draw two lines and want to tangent a circle to them it should NOT turn into a wrestling match. :joy:
Much is kind of like putting up a tent for some people, it’s just a bunch of sticks that in the end made tent manufacturers realize that folks out there don’t want to spend a whole evening assembling a tent. So they now make pop-up tents for incompetence.

Good to hear Daniel. I too have had some frustrations when using Tangent.
Here’s my 2 cents. To make a tangent, one has to select two items. It would make sense that whatever you select first, is the item you want to make tangent to the second item.

If I want to make a circle tangent to a line, I select the circle first, then the line. If I want to make the line tangent to the circle, I select the line first, then the circle and the line moves accordingly.

It may not be all that easy if some items are already locked.

4 Likes

Strictly speaking, by definition, a line can be or is tangent to a curve. Not vice-versa. So the primitives in the underlying CAD core may follow the definition.

The way to effect this operationally could be improved to make it more intuitive. Great to see improvement efforts along this line.

Best,

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

You are correct by definition. I’m talking about a means so that first selected line or curve moves to the second selected curve or line. Either way, there is tangency at the curve by the line.

In this example I want the line tangent to the curve, but I want the line where it is and the curve moved to it. As you can see, initially the line moves to the curve. The only way I can achieve what I want is to Lock the line first then select the curve and line to get tangency.

BTW, you still in Camarillo?

2 Likes

In other words, it would then be nice in my view if an “item” is locked by default when first drawn.
Another aggrevation is constraint hints(bubbles). I would like to see only those attached to what I have highlighted, not the whole darn drawing showing up just because I want to work on two lines. It can get real cluttered on the display once it is full of lines and curves. I have no idea why they are all over the place and I have to look for them, sometimes on top of each other even.

Maybe highlight constraint hints(bubbles) related to highlighted item?

In other words my friends, first thing first…always. But then dettaching a junction, as in three lines…do I really have to move lines end points to get to the one desired?

Absolutely my same feeling. First item choosen is what I wanto to move, second item choosen is the target… regardless of math definitions (sorry tommyn :). I alredy started a thread sometimes ago
https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/align-tool-and-other-aligns/9506
about concentric circles… the first selected circle should go “concentric” to the second selected, but the answer was that it was not easy due to the underlying Solidworks engine… but I strongly believe it is a general issue that has to be addressed… it is still (after some years) my major “fight” with the program, and a strong “slow down” when I start designing and follow ideas rather than adapt to the program internal workflow.

Thanks for your viewpoint Mike. Moved from CA in 2019. Residence & domicile in Alpine, WY. www.alpineairpark.com Last year bought a snowbird place in Wickenburg, AZ as my wife is from Florida and does not like ice & snow. Surrounded by cows, horses, cowboys and now rattlesnakes!

Best,

Tommy

Agree fully with Mike that the app should work intuitively and not necessarily strictly conform to definition. I think my problem was more with the incorrect verbiage for the improvement and not the suggestions, per se. Sorry for being a stickler but incorrectly using technical terms might confuse others down the road.

Best,

Tommy

“Incorrect verbiage”? Just stick to the program and improve if you want customers as I see it. There is competition out there, 'member!? That is what has me delayed on a subscription. Do you drive a Tesla as well? Incorrect verbiage my … :smile:

I am just a user…. Drive a Honda Ridgeline… But my 2nd car is a plane….

My concern was simply that whatever is changed/improved, that it be described correctly. Some people are literal and easily confused, like me.

Best,

Tommy

1 Like

That’s the way the cookie crumbles, regardless. Ever gone fishing? It’s all in patience and understanding …or go home empty handed. Do not label on people if you want to improve your life.

Hi, is there any timeline for a solution to it?

I usually lock the lines I don’t want to be moved before making a circle tangent to those lines. It can get a little tedious though.

Agreed. I would prefer this method too.

This is what I do too… but I often forget! :roll_eyes: And I agree that “First selected” —> Target is the intuitive way to go.

4 Likes