Technical drawings getting too busy

The technical drawings are nice but I’ve never been given a blueprint that has the fillet surfaces shown. They get a lot too busy. Those things are generally indicated with arrows or in the notes section. For example
Note 1. Unless noted, fillet radius of .12 on all inside corners.
Note 2. Unless noted, .005 chamfer on all outside corners.

How the blend comes out in the end us usually the concern of the shop that accepts the job. While the new feature is helpful, it should be optional. Fillet Radii is typical for inside corners for added strength. It’s too busy to put it in the drawing. Especially when you consider that the the radius still has to be annotated in the traditional manner for the manufacturer to know what tools to use to make it. In a perfect world, you could cut everything with a 1.5 in Finishing End Mill with a .125 Radius and do every pocket with one pass.

https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your use case. I would be interested to understand how you usually overcome this in other CADs, are you hiding the edges manually in Drawings or are you suppressing the fillets on the 3D model to create the drawing, or something else?

Do I understand correctly, that you mean the fillet edges and not tangent edges? If it’s the fillet edges, what is the reason to model for example the fillets for all the internal edges?

I don’t typically make technical drawings in other cad programs.

I use Mastercam for turning surfaces into FANUC tool paths. Would love it if S3D could do that, And I make models in S3D from actual blueprints. I like using the pencil and Ipad when offline. The issue I posted about the drawings this morning is minor to me and I even tried to delete it right after I posted it. But I didn’t have time to look for the delete button. Sorry!

1 Like