Tips for Recreating Imported Step Files

I would like to understand what tips might be out there for re-creating complex imported step files into smooth parametric versions. I am not exactly sure how to start. I am very new to Shapr3d and parametric modeling in general. I’ve attached some images with an example of what I want to recreate. Specifically what is the easiest way to ensure if I re-sketch this the sketches will be exact to the measurements of the imported step?

Thanks for any help!

Are you referring to STLs? STEP files are already solid bodies; they just have to be translated to Parasolid format. You can operate on bodies from imported STEP files just like you do bodies you create directly in Shapr3D.

STLs are surface models and the translation to solids is not trivial. You can use the free version of Fusion 360 to convert them to STEP files which can then be imported into Shapr3D and operated on.

Hi - I’ve made it a solid but it’s really unoptimized and has more edges then I’d like. I haven’t found a way to simplify it so I’m looking to recreate it using sketches in Shapr3D. I’d like to use the unoptimized solid body as a guide. I’m hoping to get some good tips how to do that.

Create an offset plane and project the body onto it. That’ll give you a sketch you can reference.

Ok that’s what I’ll do. Any way to reduce the “control points” (not sure that’s what they are called) without resketching it?

The projected sketch will not be editable but it is copyable. The copy can then be edited.