Trapezoid oddities, What to do?

Hello,

as I’m struggling a bit with positioning a trapezoid, I’m experiencing some odd things and hope someone can help me out.

This time I’ve created a trapezoid by first drawing two parallel horizontal lines exactly 500mm apart from each other. Then I added the two inclining sides on the left and right. After this I moved the trapezoid where is was supposed to end up exactly over two existing lines. However, as you can see in the screenshot only the bottom line will be 100% aligned to the previous one, but the upper one seems to be just slightly off. How can that be?

Were the 2 points actually connected?

Not really. I just moved the trapezoid vertically. How can I connect the two points?

The top left corner looks like this. Quite messy…
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-28 um 18.15.32
How can I connect the blue point (top left corner of the trapezoid) with the one to the left below?

So, I’ve tried al over again, and do have the impression that when moving the trapezoid the corner points snap. Also the purple guide lines appear.

However…

When I enlarge the sketch it becomes apparent that the corner points didn’t end uo in the right place.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-28 um 18.47.53
So, it’s the same problem as described above and wonder what I should do… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

What are you snap settings?

I looked to see if there were any visual ques that 2 lines weren’t connected. No. It would be handy. Something to show 2 or more selected lines had connection?

Hi Oregonerd,

thanks for helping me again :grinning: I appreciate it a lot! As for the snap settings, they’re all turned on.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 09.47.16
(This is the German version)

I’m not sure how exactly the snapping functions work and why they’re not working in this case…

In order to make the snapping function work for me, I thought it might be a good idea to at first make sure that my drawing is “snapped” to guide lines. Therefore i tried moving it like so

However the results are not satisfactory. I don’t think the snapping function works here…
Does anyone have a clue what I can do to make this work?

Hi!

The key is to utilise the proper constraints. I’v made a short video how to easily create a trapezoid:

Hi Lacy,

thanks very much for you video. I drew the trapezoid in a very similar way and had no difficulties with it. But I do have trouble positioning it. In this picture you can see that the height (50 mm) exactly matches the distance between the two lines where I want to move it to.

The problem is that I don’t know how I can make sure that the top left corner of the trapezoid will end up where the red arrow is pointing beneath.

Simply dragging it to the correct position should work:

A note if I may:
I see that most of your lines are off the grid. It helps a lot if you keep in mind the grid positions, especially if you want to keep snap to grid on. Otherwise, it might be better to turn it off, as when you draw/drag something close to the grid, it will “snap” to it, and you might end up with not connected lines/ not closed sketches as before.

Hi Laci, I’m sure you’re right. Is there away how I can align the my drawing to the grid? I tried to do that but didn’t succeed…

In my case the trapezoid is a lot smaller than the structure where I want to move it to in the end which is 2000 x 1000 mm…

In that case, the Translate tool might be more helpful than the simple move:

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, it might be also easier to create the drawing just once, then select it, turn on the copy badge on the Move tool, and create copies of it, instead of trying to draw it multiple times.

1 Like

Hi Lacy, it worked! :smiley: The translate tool is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much

Both top left and bottom left corner now are where I wanted them to be :smiley:
And yes, I’ll copy and move the trapezoid now.

1 Like