UI Feedback

There are a couple of UI changes vs the standard version that keep tripping me up:

• When I select the outer surface of a cylinder I expect to see the radius and be able to adjust it numerically. (I know I can use the offset face tool, but that does a relative move, not an absolute one).

• When selecting existing chamfers, the current radius is not shown and making adjustments requires choosing offset face, which is somewhat misleading in this case).

• When selecting a face I really miss seeing the depth of the item at that spot. Currently I’m having to select the opposing face to find the distance to the other side.

• How do you make multiple copies of an object without deselecting and reselecting (this is for situations where patterns don’t apply).

• Finding the right item in the history list is challenging, and many of the sub-parameters of each entry are not easy to decipher their meaning.

Thanks very much for Shapr3D, I’ve made hundreds of models with it over the last few years and really enjoy using it!

2 Likes

The offset face tool in this case should show the radius/diameter, this is a bug and will be fixed.

In a parametric environment if you want to change the radius of a fillet, you should do it by changing the radius parameter in the history. You can of course change the radius with the offset face command or use the reblend command, but if possible, I’d try to avoid that. We’re exploring how we could make the “change fillet parameter” the default for selecting fillets, but there are some obstacles that we’ll need to overcome.

This difference between the beta and the live app is due to that we default to the Extrude command in the beta, and to the Offset face command in the live app. We’ve recently changed this in the internal builds, and in the next beta the Offset face command will be the default for planar faces, so you’ll see the distance.

CUrrently you can make copies with the Transform commands and the Pattern commands, there is no other way. Can you describe your use case when you want to make multiple copies, but not a pattern?

Have you noticed that if you select a face or a body, only those steps will be shown that created the selection? Does this solve this issue?

Hi Istvan,

rubillos:

• When selecting existing chamfers, the current radius is not shown and making adjustments requires choosing offset face, which is somewhat misleading in this case).

In a parametric environment if you want to change the radius of a fillet, you should do it by changing the radius parameter in the history. You can of course change the radius with the offset face command or use the reblend command, but if possible, I’d try to avoid that. We’re exploring how we could make the “change fillet parameter” the default for selecting fillets, but there are some obstacles that we’ll need to overcome.

One of the things that’s so useful about Shapr3D is the “direct” feeling of the UI. I would hope that the parametric/history features will be in addition to the current interactions, not something that would require finding parameters in the history for common actions.

rubillos:

• How do you make multiple copies of an object without deselecting and reselecting (this is for situations where patterns don’t apply).

CUrrently you can make copies with the Transform commands and the Pattern commands, there is no other way. Can you describe your use case when you want to make multiple copies, but not a pattern?

Many times when I’d making small parts I’ll make a couple of copies to work on variants. In the current app I can tap copy and then drag out a couple of items very easily. I can also tap copy twice to reset the offset amount to 0, which is also really handy. Requiring the use of the pattern tool would complicate things, especially since the pattern tool only works in a single dimension at a time for linear patterns. Maybe just having some way to indicate “one more” when the copy button is enabled?

rubillos:

• Finding the right item in the history list is challenging, and many of the sub-parameters of each entry are not easy to decipher their meaning.

Have you noticed that if you select a face or a body, only those steps will be shown that created the selection? Does this solve this issue?

I do see that the history list collapses to only the related items based on selection. The issue is that if I’m trying to adjust say the diameter of a cylinder, I don’t immediately know which of the items in the list has the diameter value in it. I have to open and close the items until I find it. It’s much more cumbersome than in the current UI where I just tap the surface and the current diameter is displayed, ready to edit. This is currently the thing I run into where the new UI seems way more cumbersome.

A couple of additional items:

• Operations on sketches do not seem to show up in the history currently. This means that many parameters are not in the history. For example if I draw a circle and extrude it, there is no way in the history to change the radius of the resulting cylinder. Is this something still under development?

• When entering numeric values in the history the standard keyboard is shown instead of showing the numeric panel with the built-in calculator.

• Currently the items in the history list look more like a debugging view of internal data structures. In the example below for a revolve, this is nowhere near as elegant as the rest of the UI. Seems like it would be much nicer if each type of entry had a custom panel with maybe a picture illustrating the different parameters. It could also use significantly less vertical space that way.

Thanks,
Randy

3 Likes