What I wish for Christmas 🎅

I’m trying out Shapr and find it very promising that you are implementing parametric history!
The interface feels quite fluid and straightforward.

A few that I miss quite a lot are:

1. A thicken command, that gives the ability to offsets selected faces so that they become new “shell” bodies, or do subtracted shelling into the base body.

2. An “up to” option in extrude.

3. Some type of interactive guides in 3d so that it is easier to snap to existing geometry when doing commands like extrude for example.

4 a fillet command in sketch

Are you working on some these things?

I know this is a beta and since I’m new here I don’t know if this has been asked for already :slightly_smiling_face: keep up the good work!

Best regards
Fredrik

Offset face and shell tools do this.

It is implemented already in parametric modeling, just drag the extrude on something, or swt it as a parameter in the feature tree.

Can you elaborate please?

Coming soon.

I see.
For the first wish I tried to do this, but it just moved the faces perpendicularly in/out without creating a new separate body. Is there a trick I need to know?

2: great! I will check it out. What do you mean by swt?

3: I will once I am back in front of a computer, I only have a phone to type on, it’s too small.

4 good! Make it a one click!

I forgot one wish: variable radius fillets. Any plan for this?

Thanks for quick answer!

Best regards
Fredrik

It won’t create a separate body, if you want to create a separate body, you need to copy it first.

Typo, I meant use :slight_smile:

On our radar, but I can’t give you an exact delivery date yet.

For the first point, I which it would 1. Be possible to thicken selected faces into new bodies.
2. Thicken selected faces into the base body as a boolean difference.
Onshape has this functionality. Think fusion also.

If it is possible to copy-extract faces as surfaces this would also allow for the same thing, although a tiny bit more cumbersome.

I generally think keeping the feature count low is a plus in history based programs, because long history become difficult navigate. So having a lot of functionality and therefore options per history node is a plus in my experience.

Thanks!

Like this?

Not exactly. In your example all the faces do the same. I is it possible to select just one and make this offset into it’s own separate body?

Let’s say that you have body with 5 faces.
Select two of them that share edges;

1. If you thicken out of the body with imaginary option “create new body”- a single new body is created
  2. Thicken into the body with imaginary option “subtract” -the thickening will make a Boolean difference into the body.
    That’s what I would like to see in the feature options.

That functionality is great. Some other software using Parasolid has this, and I think Shapr can implement something similar.

Best regards
Fredrik

Got it. There is no such option in the offset face command at the moment, but we keep adding new parameters with every release.

1 Like

Thanks Istvan!
Shapr is becoming a really cool program, that’s for sure.
I love the simple interface. When it gets more and more functionality, the priority will be to pack these options into a logical workflow. Magic happens if the number of clicks needed are minimal, as well as keeping the feature tree minimal. Using the feature tree actively when making patterns etc is one way to reduce clicks that. By that i mean selecting things in feature tree instead of directly on screen geometry. Its often easier to select it there since its already organized.

Best regards
Fredrik

Here is what i was thinking of regarding point number 3 above.
If I was creating a plane like in the video, and wanted it at a certain height, I would be really nice if i could pull it over a vertice and that it would snap to this height. Like an inter active snap, sort-of.
The same could be the case for extrude, and anything that is going perpendicular to a base plane,

That’s already how it works for extrude. It snaps to faces and bodies, setting the “extrude to” parameter. We might implement a similar behavior for other commands where it makes sense.

Hmm… sorry, i see that, its working really well. Im making a model now that i already have made in Rhino and Onshape. Interesting to see the difference. It’s goin quite well to replicate it in Shapr so far!

3 Likes

Could you give us some feedback after you complete this project? Would be interesting to know how did it go, what’s missing, and also the overall feel and time of completion compared to the other CAD.

I will do that @Laci_K!

Best regards
Fredrik

1 Like