Visual feedback of constraint conflicts

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

Sometimes while sketching, I get an information bubble for a few seconds that says, ”This constraint would conflict with existing ones.” Then I need to figure out what I did that is blocking my action. Sometimes easy, sometimes it takes a while to get it right. I would like to see a quick visual indication of where the conflict is. For instance, have the conflicting constraint be highlighted in red—and only for the amount of time that the information bubble is on the screen.

The problem that this feature will solve:
Quicker resolution of constraint conflicts. I think that it may also help condition me where to look, and how to be better when applying constraints. With HBPM, I have found use of constraints to be even more important.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:
Quicker sketching.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?
Nothing. It would just help in getting sketches correct quicker.

3 Likes

Yes, great point, there is a lot of room for improvement. We are making significant improvements in sketch error handling with the release of history based modeling.

I’ve spent, at least an hour fighting with this.

Context / pratical example.
I’ve got 2 hexagons i’m trying to make a repeating pattern from. First, i think it was complaining about the sketch plane not being big enough. Why a plane has bounds is beyond me but… I’m ignoring that for now. I’ve made the plane way bigger than needed.

Currently
I can repeat one hexagon right 20mm 6 quantity.
I can repeat the other hexagon right 20mm 6 quantity.
I can NOT repeat BOTH hexagons right 20mm 6 quantity
I can repeat BOTH hexagons right 20mm 2 quantity. :woman_facepalming:

I have clicked on every point in both hexagons. I have clicked on every edge of the hexagons. There are no constraints. A repetition of 6 does not exceed the edge of the plane.

I want to tear my freaking hear out. I’m going to have to do a bajillion copies because this makes no sense and it refuses to tell me what it’s complaining about.

Hi,

It’s not an issue with constraints, it’s a bug we are fixing in the next release. Sorry about the inconvinience!

3 Likes

With history based modeling, sketch constraints are even more important. I hope that not just error handling, but also some visual feedback of the constraints prohibiting an action are provided to the user.

1 Like

This issue is extremely frustrating and the type of thing that pushes users to other platforms. Please prioritize whatever is causing the issue for the next release! Deleting the constraint doesn’t resolve it.

It will be fixed in the next release. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2 Likes