What is the best approach to design a organic shape?

I’ve been trying to design something similar to this: Cute Planet #004 – The Explorer by Tran Mau Tri Tam ✪ for UI8 on Dribbble

I’ve drawn a front sketch and a side sketch and tried things like revolve using those but it only gets me a little way there as if you look at the example it’s no completely round or symmetrical. The front and back and sides seem somewhat flat. You’ll also notice the bottom of the front side is different than the bottom of the backside.

I was hoping I could use something like the loft tool to create a transition from my front plane and left plane sketches but that doesn’t appear to be supported or i’m doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

It would be easier if we could see what you are trying to achieve with sketches. I understand if you don’t want someone to run with your ideas. Those critters are adorable. Got me wanting to try my hand at it.

Adding and subtracting separate objects may be key. blending them into smooth shapes. Sometimes it helps to look for regular solids in your design and merge them into one object.

TigerMike (local hero :slightly_smiling_face:) has been involved in a few topics similar to yours… this one comes to mind and might be helpful: How can i draw? - #6 by Matt_the-Rathje

1 Like

I’m actually out of the country right now on vacation. If I recall, another one is a Webinar by Claas K where he made some bathtub toys which I think were organic in nature.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The challenge i’m facing is my organic shapes don’t have a consistent base like the toys in the video (a cylinder). Mine is like a deformed apple that isn’t symmetrical. If I could start with a cube or a ball and “squish” it in certain ways on each face and round the corners as desired I may be able to pull it off. What I have done so far is to create a front profile view and create a cookie cutter design and do the same for the side profile. Then I created a 3d cube and used my profiles to cut out/subtract the basic shape. The chamfered the corners. It’s close but not exact as i’m limited by the chamfer feature (or at least my knowledge of it).

Thanks again the the video reply. It’s helpful to give me other ideas.

Hey @Ddobier,
Let me share a short video about one of my past practices with a barrel-like shape which may be useful for your use case. It is some kind of bean bag that I modeled while waiting.

There are some highlights that I’d like to comment on from the video:

• In the beginning, you can see the basic shape of the entire body which is made of four spline segments, one for each quarter
  • at 00.14 another sketch appears that has the same shape just like the bottom one, but with a line in the middle. I set it to construction just to show that the Loft tool will not do the trick - yet
  • from 00:43 you can see the guidelines for the Loft that will help achieve the barrel-like shape
  • The top shape is another Loft, but I had to split the top section into two halves - this is where the line got converted back to a regular one.

Please update us about your progress,

2 Likes

Hi Darren,
to be honest, and I do not try to sell you anything here, I think a software like Z-Brush or Blender suits your needs better. Just dragging and dropping a geometry (or modelling something from a sphere of clay) is not S3ds thing. S3D is a CAD-Software that needs to be precise to the 3rd to 8th digit. If your game is creating characters for animation or something (free-form-modelling) - another software may suite you better.
Cheers Matt

1 Like

You would be able to make that with Shapr, but a sculpting app would probably be easier. Nomad Sculpt is a good alternative to ZBrush. It’s very cheap and works on iPad. Same with Forger.

1 Like