Sketches and planes

I hope they may illustrate the planes and sketches issues that I think / believe are not really correct or consistent.
Showing that when you change planes you have to click onto the old sketch to add to it, or in the last video if you DO NOT draw on an alternative plane it attaches and you can extrude half a circle, but if you draw on the other plane then it does not divide the circle.

To me this is inconsistent but if this is the way it has to work then I will just have to get used to it and work around it all.
1.50x50

2. 10x10

3. circle

Yes I believe this is now how it works. The sketch plane HAS to be selected, if not it will start a new one. I’m assuming there we’re previous complaints about having 50 sketches on a single plane cluttering it up, or having to delete them and not be able to use them again, hence the change.

The simplest workaround I can think of is once you have a sketch plane to rename it boldly, ie. FRONT PLANE SKETCH or the like so you can just click on that. It’s a bit inconvenient vs selecting from the worldview cube but like i said it’s a workaround.

With the latest release a single plane can contain multiple separate sketches. If you want to edit an existing sketch, simply click on the sketch first, then start sketching.

Ok thank you, but what if I want to merge or join the two or more sketches?

You can use the Project tool inside the sketch, or you can simply create the sketch that way.

Istvan, unfortunately we just seem to going around in circles, somehow I am just not able to impart my problems, I really do not how to proceed.
I do appreciate you are trying to help but I am hitting a brick wall.

Does projection not work?

Unfortunately no it is not working for what I want to do.

Let me try and explain what is happening
Open a new drawing
Select any plane, but to keep with me, select front.
Draw a simple rectangle
Then go to the top plane and draw another rectangle
Then go back to the front plane by selecting the plane cube top right
Then double tap the screen to make sure you are on the front plane
Now try and draw a line to split the rectangle does it work?
If not do a two finger screen rotation
The rectangle is now easily joined to but then lay it flat again to say allow tracing from an imported background drawing and then does it allow you to draw and modify that simple sketch or does he original sketch go to feint lines?
As a second option
Try the same or similar steps by using the add a plane, to call up the ‘grey’ planes and draw on them.
The try recreating this on a set of planes on the front and top views, and then go back and in the FLAT perspective try and modify the created rectangles.

I hope you are able to understand my wording, as sketches and videos did not communicate the issue to you, third time lucky maybe😃 (it is likely me that has it wrong, but I need to get it right)

1 Like

Hi, you “only” have to develop 2 steps to stop all these discussions and you can make everybody happy:

1. Please develop the possibility to have a feature that projected sketches can be handled as normal sketches (no purple line)
  2. make a feature that the user can decide if the designed body will or will not be related to the sketch (or vice versa: the projected sketch will/or will not be related to the body).

Hi Istvan

Just to confirm I think I have resolved my problems now. Thank you to you and Rita helping me out. It was Rita who pointed me to accessing the sketch in the history panel that then ensures that I carry on working on that exact sketch on that plane.
I think I was too used to double tapping the screen before and we only had the option of one sketch on a plane at any one time. Would it be possible to have a ‘switch’ to decide how many sketches can be assigned to a plane, either one only OR multiple.

Any way as for now I think I have the solution, until I get stuck again.

2 Likes

Great to hear that!