Why can't stl add shapr3D to export drawings now?

Stl files that can be imported in the past can also produce drawings. Why is it restricted now? Do you want to reduce the function? I hope to return to this function.

STL files can still be imported, but drawings cannot be made of them. Mesh files like STLs do not have a clean edge along the border of their faces because of the polygonal structure, so the result would be quite noisy. Something like this for a simple filleted cube:

Would this be useful for you?

I am not sure how useful a “global projection” is, but what I would find helpful is to be able to put a plane through an STL and get a sketch of the interface boundary between the plane and the STL. I made a tool to do this (essentially a slicer) to generate SVG/DXF of that interface. It would be awesome if Shapr3D would allow for that directly.

Here is one concrete example while I was testing it out. https://www.printables.com/model/267196-brain-circuit I ran the STL through the STL2DXF script and then imported that back into Shar3D. All the segments were a bit of a challenge for the app to consume but were manageable.

1 Like

Yes, it is very useful, because most of the time it is stl files, and drawings are the premise of design. After dealing with stl drawings, I can know the subsequent modeling and drawing more quickly. Therefore, the previous stl drawing function is the advantage and first choice of shapr3D. It is a pity to cancel it, and I hope to return.