Easier STL conversion

I’ve been making a little tool that tries to make it easier reverse engineer an STL in Shapr3D. I still have a long way to go, and I’m honestly surprised I’ve made it this far.

It currently will slice an SLT in X, Y, or Z plane and let you visualize the outline of the section. It exports drawing as SVG or DXF. Next, I want to be able to measure the distance between any 2 points in the 2D view of the 3D object. Probably will make the 2D view less 3D too.

11 Likes

Very usefull!

1 Like

Nice! Keep us posted.

1 Like

Hacked up some code that takes the 2D projection from the 3D object and dumps a DXF file. I was able to import that into Shapr3D :slight_smile:

This Perseverance model is the starting point. The code projects the 2D drawing underneath the 3D object. Then it create a DXF (or SVG) from that 2D drawing. I can do different rotations to get different 2D projections.

Here it is imported into Shapr3D
inShapr3D

Now I need to adapt it to support STL instead of only GLB files.

3 Likes

@Yepher

This may be one of the most useful projects I‘ve seen. I wish I had any any amount of skill to offer help.

Please keep us updated on your progress, this would be an awesome tool.

1 Like

Really interesting idea! Certainly better than manually sketching over a photo.

Do you plan to post to github or…?

I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. I think I will make it available as a webpage, but the problem is I’ve made a few different versions (python, javascript, swift, and GoLang), but each is different in how you interact with it, so I need to pick a path. And now… I got sidetracked with writing a Parasolid to Step transcoder, which has turned out to be a fairly complex project.

DALL•E has inspired me, so the reason I originally started this was to try and have a computer “draw” the 2D result of a 3D view. Give it a .dxf and it converts it from millions of little polylines into geometry. It is well beyond my ability at the moment but trying to chip away at the problem a little at a time.

I do this using openscad on my mac, import an STL boolen it at the appropriate point and then project to dxf. But it would be nice to automate this more, openscad is not a UI tool, but a programmers one. Maybe you can get some ideas from it ( or code it is open scource )