2D Drawing Orientation

I’m trying to create a 2D drawing of a rectangular part which is not orientated along the X, Y and Z axes, so the base projections are not orthogonal to the faces of the rectangular part. Is there a way to change the base projection so that the drawing is aligned with the faces?

Hi,

This is something we are currently implementing, we will add the option to choose a custom plane when adding a new base view and then the projections will follow.

Until it is released depending on the model there are few workarounds. You can manually rotate it in the 3D workspace to fit the XYZ axes. If there is already a drawing using other parts than you can duplicate the body/part that is oriented differently and rotate it manually, then you can add new views to your drawing by using the “Select Reference Bodies” button when adding a base view.

1 Like

Alexander_P I am pretty much all in for using Shapr3D as my primary Cad software but after trying to create drawings in Shapr3D I can see it is lacking very many options and commands. Maybe it is because I have created so many drawings over the years and I am spoiled to having many options when creating them. I am a firm believer in having good clarity on all the drawings I do. I hope that Shapr3d team does not make the same mistakes that PTC made by not paying very much attention to having good drawings commands and options because I have been doing design and drawings for 30 years and I can assure you that having to create drawings for vendors or for design reviews are not going to go away anytime soon. I hope to we see many improvement’s on the drawing creation side of Shapr3D in 2024.

Thank you

Thank you for the reply.

It looks like 5.550 added this capability. Thank you Shapr3D team!

I does solve the issue of adding new parts to one single design with many parts in it but it not solve the issue of needing to add parts to add to a drawing that are not in the main design like wanting to add bolts or pins that are separate design parts to a existing drawing to make views on it. Being able to pull from local drive location.