A slope edge of 30 degree on one curve edge

Dear expert, I want to make only one curve edge to become 30 degree. I tried transform that curve but it distort the shape of the original curve. Pls advise…

So… the other way around is to loft it by develop another sketch as below but this way is not too accurate and strange and time consuming … I suppose there should be the best simple way, pls help

I guess you would need sweep with guide curve, right? We don’t have that (yet).

Yes, correct, i would appreciate very much if your team can introduce this feature in the coming future… attached worktop surface is exactly how this feature can help.

Absolutely, makes a lot of sense. We are working on a really big update, that will allow us to add such options eaiser to certain modeling flows.

1. If your scalloped shape is part of a Circle is this what you need? See 2 below for alternatives.

Draw a Circle

Add a Construction Axis [CA]

Add a Construction Plane [CP]

Sketch a suitable Closed Object [CO] on the CP

Tools Revolve the Closed Object about the CA

Tools Subtract from the Tabletop the CO

Delete the unwanted portion of the Tabletop.

1. If your scalloped shape is is better suited to an Ellipse or Spline Curve

Use Sweep, instead of Revolve, along the chosen Curve.

1 Like

Draw a circle, extrude with 30 degree, Subtract :+1:t2:

1 Like

I think Robert has the simple solution, provided the end result is what RaymondW wanted to achieve. My only comment is to make the extrude angle 60°. This is based on the initial picture with the sketch showing 30° from horizontal.

-Mike

1 Like

Thanks, I did think about this. But whatever the big circle or Loft, it did spend time to do so. Besides, what if it is not a perfect circle? Then Loft probably the last solution and need some calculation.

Besides, from my design intention, I didn’t think about the circle ( no such mean mindset), I simply start drawing and adjusting that curve over the worktop surface and see how nice it is. Draw a circle to subtract is sort of re-engineering of that curve to me, not convenient.

It doesn’t have to be a circle. You can draw curve, like a kidney shape, do the extrude and draft angle just as Robert suggested.

When it comes to designing things, deep down I am pretty much old school (I’m talking drafting boards, vellum, mechanical pencils and electric erasers). I am approx 9 months new to 3D modeling and all I know is Shapr3D. It is a different mindset and I am now ALL IN as far as that goes. Sometimes one needs to work in the ‘negative space’ to get the desired result, like using a circular shape to subtract from a body. (I am totally hooked!)

I’m no expert mind you, but I do enjoy the challenge of coming up with solutions using this great app.

Regards, Mike

3 Likes

Please see item 2. in my post.
If you need further assistance just ask.

The important thing is that Subtraction is the key, other suggestions here offer alternatives in a similar vein. There is no need for a ‘special tool’ for this purpose.

Hey TigerMike — electric eraser sounds plenty hi-tech to me. Agree fully with your thinking on Shapr3D.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, we are pretty much on the same page. Sadly, I still have my electric eraser and it still works! The erasers may have aged and hardened a bit but then again so have I. :grinning:

If I recall you are in the Camarillo area and you fly. I assume you made it to the Camarillo Air Show that was held recently?

Regards, Mike

Yes, I am a Young Eagles pilot and worked the EAA booth at the airshow on Sat. A good time was had by all. So others will understand…

http://wingsovercamarillo.com/

Best,

Tom

1 Like

Anyway, it would be nice if the chamfer can be set to any degree (currently default angle is 45 degree), in that case I can simply set any degree over the corner curve. That was how the Solidworks do.

1 Like

May I suggest that if you have Solidworks and are familiar with using it that should resolve your problem.
However if you do not have SW then forget about what it can or cannot do and use your copy of Shapr3D to to the job. S3D is eminently capable of performing the task you need to complete. Suggestions here will doubtless only be about achieving your objective using S3D.
You have been offered several solutions, but unless I have overlooked anything, you have not commented regarding any of them?

For example following my suggestions it is possible to form any Curved Shape at any Angle desired, I am not commenting on other solutions other than that Subtraction is involved.
If you choose to follow this suggestion and you do not understand how to change the Angle to mach your requirements it may be necessary for you to ask how to make that change.
In my first response in this Thread the first ScreenShot shows a Construction Plane, with a Closed Object, the Angle of the CO is set to provide a ‘cut’ of 30º from Horizontal.
Setting this Angle is straightforward to those with sufficient S3D experience, the objective here is helping Users over particular Hurdles to advance their experience.

You have alluded to the fact that the Curve Shape may not be Circular, tell us what shape you need.
The CP with CO mentioned above can easily be recreated on any Curve.
Select Add > CP > choose Type > Perpendicular to Curve at Point
Tap on the new CP with your Finger [not Pencil] and it will present a Grid on which you can Sketch your CO. While doing this you can set the Angle of the CO to that desired.

If you do not have any success or the results are not what you need please say what point(s) you are having trouble with.
Note it is helpful if you use the Reply Icon below the Post you are replying to, that way the system is able to flag up who the intended recipient is.

I understood what u said so far right from the beginning. And I did not force Shapr3D to do any changes or else. This is just an open discussion and feature improvement if possible. But, apparently, your radical feedback really drag me away from this nice discussion platform. Anyway, this will be my last message in this forum, enjoy your world!!

I am very sorry you have chosen to leave the Forum and for my part in that choice.
Best wishes for the future.