Revolve or sweep a body like a end mill to cut out a curve

Hello community,

I am new to the community and would like to say hello. I used shape3d a lot so not really unexperienced but now I can’t find a solution for this issue and I would appreciate any help.

I’m having trouble getting this curve profile to look like it was generated with a milling machine. I tried using the sweep and revolve tools to subtract the red area in the image from the cylinder. In reality, a end mill (blue) that is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis would cut the curve and also remove the areas marked in yellow in the first image. However, with sweep or revolve, these angles remain.

Is it possible to revolve or sweep a body like a milling tool in order to create the curve correctly?

I am grateful for any help

Chris

Is this what you’re trying to achieve mate?

Maybe not as it looks like this from the side. I’m going to keep trying though.

Having experience with milling machines, yes this is more how it should look just with fillets at the beginning/end to match the circular profile of an end mill.

@Chris07 I don’t know exactly how @Shaun re-created this feature. But the “helix” adaptation of the revolve tool has a twist to it, fine for 3d printed threads, but not super accurate. The way I would do what shaun did is to create a positive of the cut by using a half tube shape, then cutting it at the angle needed, then subtracting that from the round stock. That will give you a square profile vs the twisted profile of the helix. Its extra steps, but not terrible.

You can also continue this cut by copying the half tube angle cut shape and aligning the ends, merging them and then subtracting.

1 Like

Here are some vids I did months ago. I Projected lines onto the cylinder followed by an inward extrude. Does this help?

1 Like

Hey Shaun, thanks for your reply. Unfortnunately this is not the solution.
The side surfaces of the curve must be perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bolt.

1 Like

Hi Mike, thx for your input. Unfortunately not. I need the side surfaces of the curve being perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bolt

This should explain the issue a bit better:

3 parts. Your shaft: Make a cylinder that you will cut your cam slot out of and another smaller cylinder in the center of that one to add back after the cam slot is cut. A cylinder within a cylinder.

Then make a solid like a pie shape, round the edges, rotate it and cut from the outer cylinder. Then add the 2 cylinders together.

I’d demonstrate but must take my mother to doctors appointments today.

You can save the second cylinder until after the outer cylinder is cut. Just started my first coffee. Not awake yet.

Hi Alex, thank you for your input. Unfortunately, a subtracted tubular part does not solve the problem; the inner surfaces of the ‘curve’ must be perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bolt. The manufacturing process is as follows: an end mill drills into the bolt and cuts the curve while the bolt rotates and moves axially. The red part is what was possible to subtract with shapr3D , the yellow hatched surface is the issue i don’t have when the part has been machined on a mill. I know how to machine it, but für serial production manufacturer need a proper 3D model.

Here’s a start of what I described

I’ll give it a go when I get down to the studio and post the file when I have something.

Thank you very much !

Hey, thanks for your input, but this doesn’t solve the problem with the side surfaces of the cam ( curve) a tilted pie shaped cut out will not bring the same resulat like a cam/ curve made by a end mill. All the best for your mother!

1 Like

Are you sure that this won’t work?

1 Like

This is how I usually model these features for machining and have never really had an issue before.

But I know what @Chris07 is trying to convey though. However it’s more of a tool path feature that shapr doesn’t have built in. ie. sweep or rotate a body to create a pathed body. If this is done with a rectangle to represent the profile the twist created by shapr doesn’t leave a smooth path, so if you try to filet the ends they’ll never match the outer dimensions previously set.

The only way I’ve been able to create it is to literally create the cutting tool and have a crap ton of instances in a circular pattern to try and make it appear smooth. Trying to union them takes forever or just crashes the program. When I have gotten it to go through it still has individual faces (think chatter marks on a machined part).

I’ve tried all my tricks for now and can’t reliably create what Chris needs and unfortunately can’t spend anymore time on it right now. If I think of something else I’ll try again later.

oh wow. :grinning:…this looks perfect. the angles look right. I only have to limit the cam to 160 degree around the cylinder. Sorry, maybe i missunderstood your prior message. how did you create the cam?

Now i was able to open your screen recording videos :see_no_evil: you are MASTER!

1 Like

I projected the sketch onto the cylinder. Then do an inward extrude. The resulting sides of the extrusion are normal to the center of the curve whether a cylinder or any other curved surface. (The same thing happens if you do an outward extrude.) See my first 3 videos above.
Glad to help.

1 Like

Mike, i was to fast with my answer. No the problem still exists. The cam/ curve still needs to be much wider than the bolt moving in it. This is not the way how it would look like if i cut this cam/curve with a mill. tricky :roll_eyes:
Screenshot 2024-05-08 195343

Are you sure about that? I eyeballed the angles where I show both section views. Is this still not correct?