Adding feature to ellipse surface

Hi -
I am trying to add a cone shape on the 3rd ellipse body but i cant copy it by rotating.

can someone help please - thank you

I have notified the authorities. You should pack light and run to a country with no extradition… (who would try to do such a thing! :roll_eyes:).

Could you give us a screenshot with what you are trying to achieve? Show us the 3rd ellipse body?

LOL!
Thanks for your reply mate… pls see the photo attached
Thanks again
Cheers

If I understand correctly, You are trying to attach nubby things to the outside of your ellipse body? Since it is not uniform body, copying by rotation does not position them on the surface of the body. Is that the problem?

You are correct, that is what i am trying to do but as you said copying by rotation doesnt work. what is the alternative solution for such shape?

Cheers mate

Well plotting points around an ellipse is no trivial matter. How accurate do you need to be is key?

I would approach the ellipse body from the side and create the “nubbies” around the surface circumference and then copy my objects the other direction or width of the body. If you put the nubbies in a new folder to make selecting them all at once easy peasy!

This might be very tedious depending on how many nubbies you want. All the way round the Ellipse?

You can make a drawing plane off the side of the ellipse to help plot your rows of nubbies around the ellipse.

When drawing lines remember you tangent and perpendicular constraint tools.

I tried that but as soon as i copied them, they didn’t land on the surface and/or tangent to the surface …, have to move the plane 5 to 10 deg to maintain surface contact … not easy and not accurate (but i can live with lack of accuracy) … i was thinking must be an easier solution to create a pattern on such surface… thank you again for your help mate

It might be easier to create a rod slightly larger than the object and send it thru the center then rotate it to the angles needed. Once you have the pattern you need, go back to original sketch and do an offset line the distance from the face of object. Then use that to subtract the excess from both the outside and inside.

Thank you
not sure if i fully understand :slight_smile: but thank you very much for your reply.

cheers

Perhaps this might help if perfection isn’t absolutely imperative. You’ll need to keep the chord short to minimise inaccuracy due to the non circular curve.

1 Like

Sorry about that - I’ve added the first few images again because they didn’t upload…

Thanks mate- Thank you very much indeed
I really appreciate your time & support. it is crystal clear now.

Thanks again
Cheers

No problem.

So I did this for learning. I used a vector program and created a 34 sided polygon constrained to a circle and then squashed. Exported and imported in DFX format to get the segmented ellipse. The rest is self explanatory. However I learned something cool when creating construction planes. I was able to create multiple planes at one go. Very cool!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this…
This part isn’t quite clear to me as i’m still learning this tool…

*So I did this for learning. I used a vector program and created a 34 sided polygon constrained to a circle and then squashed. Exported and imported in DFX format to get the segmented ellipse

can you please elaborate …

thank you

Most vector art programs (Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape, etc.) have polygon tools. I used that to make a polygon in the shape of the ellipse main body. The pic below shows the polygon before and after squashing to make it ellipse shaped. I exported in DFX format and then imported that DFX into shapr to use as my drawing to create the nubbies. I then drew a parallel drawing plane to draw and extrude the main ellipse feature.

I imported the DFX (34 sided polygon squashed to ellipse).

Then I drew lines at mid segment and used the perpendicular constraint on them

Those lines allowed me to make construction planes at each mid segment. Use the “make plane perpendicular to curve at point” to make the planes. Then you draw the feature or nubbiest on each plane.