How to extrude an object on a face

I have a donuts shape object, on the outer face I want to attach an ellipse and extrude it -.03 and repeat it around the outer donut making a grip like texture. Ideas on how to attach the ellipse to the main outer ring and extrude it.

thx
les

Is this what you want to achieve?

2 Likes

Here is another way. I drew 3 circles to create a torus and a shell to intersect with my oval projections. TigerMike’s works, however his extrusions are ever so slightly distorted with that method.

2 Likes

I really need a good tutorial on tutorial videos from TigerMike. :grin:

2 Likes

@Oregonerd is correct in that the method I used creates the extrusion normal to the surface being extruded from. It is more problematic with curved surfaces and not an issue with flat surfaces. The beauty of 3D modeling is that there are many ways to achieve desired results. His method works well. And, here is yet another method where I used my favorite tool Replace Face :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I typically do a dry run then undo everything, start recording and do the final run. Afterwards I import into iMovie and edit out some dead time and speed the video if needed to make it no more than 10mb.
One more thing, I export from the iPad to my iMac via Airdrop then post it on the forum.

2 Likes

I’m a windows guy so I’ll have to learn iMovie. I’m using my girlfriends iPad. Sometimes I let her borrow it. Cutting the size is the hard bit. I don’t trust Youtube. They deleted a bunch of my dive videos some time back.

1 Like

Thanks tigermike, thats what I want to do, I’ll try it today

thanks again

1 Like

thanks oregonerd, the good is for me, my outer surface is flat with slight bevel, I’ll try your way to, goo to have oprions

1 Like

Tigermike or Oregonerd, ok I think I did it, however for what ever reason, the extrusion is tied to the z axis and I can’t seem to figure out how to remove from inner circle. I did an extrude to down size, but it left a void in the inner circle. I would like to upload the file, but being new to Shaper3d I can’t, any ideas

thx
les

I don’t quite follow what you are saying. Can you upload a couple of pics?

That solves the negative draft angle of your other method. I keep forgetting the replace face tool. Excellent as usual.

Hi TigerMike

when I go to upload, I get a message, " New users are not able to upload"

@lrehklau, your membership has been upgraded, we are waiting for the picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it was Istvan who got me hooked on replace face. A perfect tool, just wish Subtract tool worked flawlessly like that, bit of a job still to perfect Subtract.

1 Like