Align points of a body alongside a fixed axis (like Sketchup)

Hi everyone
So I’ve got a shape (the multi-square). I have designed it but not aligned it to where I wanted. In my current example, I even have centered the whole design around the axis point of convergence. Please note the shape does not have its diagonals in perfect xx.0 mm, so all angle points do not match the grid.
With Sketchup, you could select a point of an object, constraint an axis of XYZ movement (arrow keys) and move that object alongside that axis while the mouse hovered over another point of reference (edge/segment, another point of another object, one of the XYZ axis…) and that would align it.
Here, I would like, for example, move my body down to align its center (which Sharp3D can identify when I get the “move/rotate” tool, but not act on it like with a circle) vertically with the axis. I would have been able to do it with the angle points horizontally aligned with the center (right green arrows).
I may hope to be able to do the same thing with the center of a segment of another body as well (if I wanted to align the center with the middle height of the left or right long rectangle for instance).

Translate needs to know the exact end point, which doesn’t work, and align needs to align segments, and I don’t have parallel segments to my “lines of references”.

Have I missed something (I’ve looked on Google, nothing for my situation)?

I assume this is what you want to do. Just use Move/Rotate.
In my example the upper internal rectangle is now centered (aligned) on the X-Y.

3 Likes

That would be a workaround indeed to get to the result, with a few more steps though. Thanks TigerMike!
Would that mean that no alignement functionality like I described is planned to be implemented someday?

There will always be workarounds for doing various tasks, even with Sketchup I’m sure. What few more steps? Two sketch lines and the Move tool with dimensional input- Done!
It amuses me that many who use Sketchup want to use Shapr3D as Sketchup. Two different animals.

2 Likes

Mike, yes! Completely different animals. Having used many other programs, 123D, KidPix, Fusion360, SketchUp, and I have a license for SolidWorks, Shapr3D is by far the most intuitive and easiest to use (in my opinion).

4 Likes