SketchUp style inferences? Aligning objects…

I am trying to align shapes in Shapr3D. I am a longtime SketchUp user and trainer (since 2007), although I prefer Shapr3D for creating models for 3D printing.

In Sketchup, I can grab a corner of a box, for example, and move that corner to the corner of another object. They snap into position. I have been using Shapr3D for maybe 3 years, and I have not found a similar function. I’ll use the center dot of the Move function and move it to the corner of a box, for example, but then I can’t find a way to make this “snap” to another corner.

Am I missing something? My workaround involves zooming in on the corner and very manually trying to get the two corners to meet. I’ve looked at what looks likes constraints on the right side, and can’t find any way to align these objects. Thank you!

Give the Align tool a shot. :slight_smile:

Alternatively, you can use the Translate tool too.

1 Like

I’ve seen the Align tool, but never realized it would align CORNERS, nor did I understand I needed to click and drag on a corner to show where I wanted it to align; I’ve tried to click on a corner, then click on the other corner. I’ve used it for aligning faces. That’s what I needed! Thanks for the quick reply.

I might suggest a change to the tooltip at the top. Perhaps you could add something about clicking and dragging on a point…it only mentions a face or an edge. The second instruction doesn’t really make it clear that this operation also works on a point.

1 Like

Happy to help :slight_smile:

I guess it technically describes what to do. But if you’re unfamiliar with the feature, it’s not really clear that you’re able to align points.

Perhaps a change:
Align

1. Face or Edge: Select face or edge to align, select target face or edge.
  2. Point: Select face or edge, select point, then click-drag to target point.

1 Like

I have another example. I would like to align a corner of a model to the origin of the 3D world. Using the click and drag method discussed earlier, I cannot find a way to align my model with the axis. Is this possible?

Here’s another example. If I wanted to move the selected face down, so it is in the same plane as the box next to it, in Sketchup, I can use inferences to stop the push/pull action when the surface is even with the one adjacent to it. Is there an equivalent in Shapr3D, or a trick that will make this work? I did notice if I use the union function to combine both shapes, it seems to let me do that a little easier. But I don’t necessarily always want to combine the shapes.

Sketch a line at the origin and use Translate where one end of the line is the destination. Use Replace Face to move a surface the same as another.

3 Likes