Alignment function

Love the alignment function. However, maybe I am missing something as when I align two objects the aligned object is always translated in one direction I can then manually try to correct before accepting. Is there a way to align to two planes? Thank you.

E.g. in the screen shot the pin chamfer should ideally align with the brown surface. When I aligned the pin to the hole it was also shifted along the axis I can now input a value for.

The problem that this feature will solve:

Aligning objects currently only possible to one plane.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Easily align objects to more than one plane.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

At the moment I seem to need to measure the distance to a second plane I want to align to and then manually translate the object.

Alignment always tries to go to center points. I’ll usually select edges to align, think screw head edge to edge of hole vs using the bore.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks. Will try that!

I too have issue with the way the alignment tool functions. It would be great if you could do a three point alignment like in AutoCAD, but you can also use the translate tool and get close to the same functionality.

I also have a thread regarding align here with some tips and tricks. I would start by watching this alignment video and then the translate one.

Translate has become my go-to because after you choose the object you want to align, you can then select an edge and continue holding the mouse button to snap to a specific point.

1 Like