An insight into Shapr Visualisation materials

I was surprised to see this reflection in a concave shell that I was playing with (polished aluminium)!

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about this as well. You can see that studio setup in all reflective materials and some of the light effects from that square window seem to come through as well.
I wonder how the environment including global lighting is set up for visualisations. Hopefully it will be customisable soon.

1 Like

It’s an IBL map, which is an image of an environment for Shapr3D to use it in visualization for lighting.

Fun fact: These environments are not real-world places, there are really talented artists specializing in creating these environments.

You can read more about IBL here: Image-based lighting - Wikipedia

2 Likes

It’s an interesting choice of environment, definitely not suited to all models. It’s strange that you can make a model that should be far larger than the virtual environment in the IBL map and you still get the same reflection.
It’s also quirky to get the reflection on an internal wall of a body.
A bit off topic, but why don’t reflective materials reflect other bodies?
The visualisation of refraction is amazing in transparent materials (though it would be fun to be able to specify the refractive index).
Are reflections a lot harder to get right in realtime rendering?

1 Like

Hey @sodaprojects , yes, that’s indeed not realistic. Rendering reflections real time is super hard. There are solutions for this problem, but it will definitely take us some time to get there. We keep improving Visualization with every new release, and I’m sure that at some point of time we will improve reflections as well.

Because the Visualizaition feature is not a raytracer, but a real time PBR. There is a solution for this as well, and this is also something that we might improve in the future.

3 Likes

It’s obviously not an issue for most projects and the super performance is not something to be traded off without good reason - I guess a mirrored flat surface might be expected to show reflected parts of the model if one was picky - on the other hand, shadows show up nicely though being able to position the light source (or multiple sources) would be intriguing. But, sometimes the complexity is far beyond what is called for!