Assembly lack of

is there any update on when you are going to add the most important feature for a professional CAD system, assemblies.

its wonderful for creating single components and concept design,
BUT
as a Design Engineer for over 35 years, cant do much without assemblies

take my current project using onshape, i have imported into Shapr3D in the hope i could use it, after many updates i was hoping you had resolved this.
i can align the axis, then i align the planar faces and it lost the cylindrical alignment i have just created, useless, going round in circles, place one alignment then place the next and it forgets the one you just created.

i need to be able to ground / fix a part then connect parts to it, is there a ground / fix option for a part in an assembly.

i have been using following Shapr3D since its release, again its a wonderful but way overpriced piece of software for hobbyists, i would use it professionally if it had assembly constraints, you have been saying for a very long time, we are working on it.
i am very pleased you are working on history based parametric design as well as keeping direct modelling approach, i use CATIA, Siemens NX, Solid Works and Solid Edge professionally and would happily swap to Shapr3d, which is a fraction of the cost of CATIA and NX and my company would probably be very interested, currently 300 CAD users and growing.
But not when you cant create true assembly relations.
if i am wrong and there is a way to maintain a previous alignment i apologise and please show me how as a workaround until you release true assembly relationships

Very good software but could be amazing with assembly relationships.

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

Hi, @Paulmac66,

As a workaround for your issue, you can use folders. In your example, align the axis then put those bodies into a folder. Now select that folder, then the align tool. Next select the face of the planar face you want to align, and finally the target planar face you want to align your pseudo-assembly-folder.

You can use any valid alignment method (planar, cylinder, edge).

This approach does not need folders, rather only selecting multiple bodies, but sometimes folders are easier.

1 Like

Hi @Paulmac66 , I understand that for your use case assemblies are critical. Assemblies are on our roadmap, and we plan to add them as soon as possible, but it’s a bigger project, that will take some time to implement. Right now we are focusing on shipping parametric modeling, but the next big feature we deliver will be assemblies.

3 Likes