(best option for) Extruding a single shape line

Hi,

I’m trying to 3D print a silhouette of a single line shape. The example below is a side profile of a car. In order to print it i would need to extrude the shape, however ideally i would like the extrusion to be a thin width of the shape line.

Any suggestions on how to best achieve this?

1 Like

You can only extrude closed shapes. Not lines. Where you see the blue fill are closed shapes. Can draw/duplicate two lines very close together and connect their ends to create a closed shape and extrude it like a thick line. That is how we do sheet metal-like extrusions in Shapr.

Eventually they will likely have a sheet metal option.

Yes, i understand that i need a closed shape, however some of the lines are difficult to clone due to their curves. Thats why i was wondering if there is a better solution :slight_smile:

Use the “Offset edge” tool in single mode and offset by a very small number. You will have to zoom in to close the ends but it should work. Look here Flying the flag - #3 by Andyb

1 Like

You have to understand that FDM 3D printer can’t print infinity thin line too. So you have to draw 0.4 mm thick line at least. Just use this size to make a closed loop.

FDM can go as low as .1mm, however you might find it hard to find one that small. MatterHackers have a 0.15mm.

You can print a Benchy a little bigger than a grain of rice. A 0.15 nozzle would be perfect for lost wax jewelry casting if the casting wax filament will extrude correctly.

Yes the printing part is not the issue. I’m just trying to find a good workflow in Shapr to convert a complex single shape line into an closed shape.

Most printers have 0.4 mm nozzle and that’s the thinnest line you can print in standard mode. Can be 0.2mm with arachne mode.

I just telling that you almost always have to stick to the nozzle diameter as a thickness of the line. So you can draw rectangle with 0,4mm height instead of simple line and that will solve your problem.