Bug copying a line?

hi

in sketch mode, i have 3 lines, think three sides of a rectangle. i copy/move one of the three to make the final side of the rectangle. when i come to extrude a body from the sketch it doesnt seem to recognize my copied line completes the rectangle.

i will post a video later (file is too big, so i will need to copy it somewhere, resize it and then post. i’m on an ipad pro - can someone tell me a way to avoid this? i’m just taking a screen video and then trying to post that)

larry

Hi Larry, it seems you are trying to extrude the sketch on a 2d view as this worked for me as shown here:

After you have drawn the sketch, double-tap the larger 3d view cube at the top right corner of the workspace to get back to 3d view and then extrude the sketch.

Just curious, is there a reason why you had to copy the line instead of drawing a line joining the two pints to close the sketch?

hi victor

thanks for the reply, i am basically trying to do what you are showing, but it fails to extrude the right area. i’ve shrunk the video now so it should attach

regarding your other point, that is a good question: the reason why i copied it is because then i can see the distance away from the original line - how can i do this (find a point x inches away from another point, could be on a line or not), without using copy?

i come from a sketchup background and the measuring tape tool was always extremely useful there. is there a shapr3d equivalent?

thanks for your help

larry

Greetings Larry,

There is probably a small gap between the line you copied and the two parallel lines. You can zoom in a bit and adjust the moved line so it touches the perpendicular line. Circled in red is where you may have a small gap.

Yes, this shouldn’t happen and seeing Victor’s video it does work. It is possible that the 2 parallel lines (yellow) are not 100% parallel which could cause the gap.

Try this- remove the line you copied and select the 2 parallel lines and go to sketch Constraints and select Parallel. Also, make sure the line you copy and move is Perpendicular to the parallel lines. Then go back and copy the line, move it and see if that does the job.

-Mike

Larry, the best practice in this case to draw another line and position it with constraints.

thanks mike, that worked.

istvan, i tried that and got another unexpected result, see video.

in the video i click the first line segment to show it’s locked, then the one i was to move to show it’s not locked, then select both, and finally set the distance - which does something else weird with my sketch.
can you tell me what is happening here please?

Hi Larry,

I’m addressing your following comment-
… the reason why i copied it is because then i can see the distance away from the original line - how can i do this (find a point x inches away from another point, could be on a line or not), without using copy?

I appears you want to have a line a specific distance from the line you copied and moved, right?
I frequently just use “Offset”. Here you can offset that same line a precise distance from the original line. The same rule applies in this case where the original line is perpendicular to the two parallel lines to ensure a closed sketch entity once the new line has been offset. I use Offset a lot.

-Mike

2 Likes