Can you extrude to the extent of another part of the model?

Hey All,

I’m getting really into my new iPad Pro, the only reason i break out the old laptop nowadays is for Fusion 360, I like Shapr, seems like it would do most of what i do for 3D printing, but I’m stuck a few steps into a design over what must be an oversight on my part.

In fusion, if you have a few bodies in the mix and need to extrude a surface to a distance you don’t immediately know the exact measurement too, you just click on any other geometry at that extent, a surface, a point, an offset, and the extrude calculates the distance it needs to extrude by and snaps to the distance you have selected, does that make sense? It’s so simple in practice but quite hard to explain :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a complete deal breaker for me, feels like I’m missing an icon or If Shapr can only extrude by typing in the distance on the numpad, then its not really suitable for mildly complex models? I might build up a design and then need to extrude to an unknown distance, how do i do this if the built up distance isn’t a nice round integer and I don’t know the exact measurement?

If this makes no sense ill make a GIF, or something :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I suggest to extrude more and cut with object you want to have as limit

The replace face tool?

1 Like

Hi thanks for the feedback, it makes sense. There is no feature in the app for this and I will pass on your feedback to our product team.

A rough workaround can be to:

• Switch to a 2d view
  • Draw a line at the point you will like to have the face extruded to
  • Tap on the face/edge and the tap on the line to select it
  • The vertical distance between the face and the line will be displayed at the bottom of the workspace

You can then input the distance as the dimension for the “extrude”

1 Like

Thanks!

As another user mentioned, the replace face tool also offers a similar fix, a few extra taps but has so far kept me off m main machine for the design I’m making at the moment.

Would love to see an implementation of a “snap to” tap or gesture in the future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. If need extruded distance from a face to be consistent even if go back and change size of object. The extruded surface should be able to “stick” to an desired offset distance from a face.

1 Like

FWIW, this is a very important feature for me too:extruding a new (or existing) face to another snap point (surface, line or point) in the model.

1 Like

Thats rubbish, you are telling him to measure the distance then type in the distance which is just what he said he did not want to do, i have the same issue, modelling some “toys” and i dont need accuracy, just to be able to extrude a face to the extent of another face or vertex is a pretty basic function for any CAD system i have been using for over 30 years

Hi Paul,

We are working on the “extrude to” feature right now. It’s coming soon.

Also, I understand that the lack of this feature is frustrating, but on this forum please avoid language like “that’s rubbish”. Thank you.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply and i apologise for my language, did find using replace face command in another thread, which allowed me to align 2 faces a fraction of a mm out of planar alignment, i am impressed with the customer support as well.
i was not saying the software was rubbish, just the answer was the same as the work round the member had said he was using, did not seem like the member of staff had read the actual question properly.
i used to be on a CAD help desk (Solid Edge) many years ago so i understand where you are coming from and will be more respectful in future.

1 Like

No problem @Paulmac66 , thanks for being constructive.

Hi Istvan

Is there a way to reset the point of rotation when navigating?

i have to say i have been using CAD since 1988, and i am a qualified instructor, application engineer and design engineer for over 35 years, and i use Catia V6, Siemens NX, Solid Edge and Solidworks professionally
I use Onshape and Fusion 360 for hobby use, i would use SHAPR3D more if it had a true assembly environment with joints or mates, which dont break as soon as you move a part,
I know a lot of people are asking for this, and we keep being told it’s on the cards for possibly next year.
In my opinion this is the one thing preventing me using this professionally, and would justify the cost, which I do think is too high for hobbyists, I would happily pay £20 month for personal use.
I am an engineering manager for an American company with over 10,000 employees using other CAD systems, and when you do have an assembly environment would consider using Shapr3D
This is not a criticism i believe you are 95% of the way towards a serious contender for the likes of Catia, NX, Autocad, Solid Edge, Solidworks, although i have not used the 2D detailing to be honest, but looks impressive

Thanks
Paul
07595 313 452

Hi Paul, the point of rotation is defined by the mouse (our touch if you are on iPad or Windows tablet) location. It will be the closest point to your cursor.

Assemblies are extremely important for many use cases, and it is on our roadmap as a high priority item. At the moment our product is very successfully used at large enterprise companies (Fortune 100) in defense, aerospace, automotive, semiconductor manufacturing, industrial machinery and consumer electronics industries for jigs and fixtures, tooling, conceptual design, design reviews and simulations. Assemblies will open up a whole new world of use cases for sure. For example one of the most successful applications of Shapr3D is enabling machinists designing fixtures without needing to rely on other people in their organizations, using Shapr3D next to their CNCs on the shop floor. More broadly speaking we have a long list of success stories making 3D data more accessible for a large number of users in these organizations, who were previously isolated from CAD due to the high price and high complexity of legacy systems. If you are interested in using Shapr3D professionally for one of the mentioned use cases I’d be glad to chat and tell you more about it.

Hi Istvan

once again thanks for the reply never had such good customer service

I agree with you it’s a wonderful piece of software and when you have a true assembly environment to be able to do kinematics i think you will have the big cad systems worried, £25,000 a seat or $300 pa, it’s a no brainer.

Keep up the good work, when you have completed the assembly mates / joints i would be seriously interested, we work with moving assemblies with moving parts and kinematics is a big feature we use a lot.
Need to be able to confirm degrees of freedom as well within an assembly, Shapr3D does not yet have this function.

would be nice to know when the assembly will be finished, just rumours of next year ?.

Thanks again

Paul

2 Likes

Thank you :pray:

Can’t give you an exact date yet, but next year is not unrealistic.

Hi

Any updates om this? I really miss this feature

Hi, I just wanted to say this is the first thing I’ve had to google for in shapr3d. Extrude to face or point is one of my most used actions.

I really wish shapr3D had this functionality.

It is coming with the implementation of History-Based modeling this year.

3 Likes

Any news about this? Working around this is always a pain…

It’s available in the parametric beta.