Center point disappears after scaling cylinder -> cone

As soon as I turn a cylinder into a cone via the Scaling tool, the centering point disappears.
Therefore it is no longer possible to use the Translate tool to move this cone from the center to an exact point.

Any idea what causes this and more importantly, how can I solve this?

1 Like

Update - Using the same actions, it does work with a trapezoid shape.

Hi Jan-Willem,
You could try sketching a concentric circle on the face of your cylinder before you scale it. Then use that circle for translate operation.

If you use the draft angle when you extrude, that face will keep the circular property, but that may not work in this case.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your message. I am going to try your advice and let you know if this is the solution.

I am not an expert and am still learning Sharp3D, but my understanding is that the center point should not be lost after scaling. Or am I looking at this wrong?

I don’t know why, but scaled and projected circular faces lose their circular property.

I have the same issue. This is a bug and needs to be remedied. It is a time waster to have to draw another circle to get the center point back. Not to mention you lose the diameter notation of the circle too.

1 Like

Hello Bob and Jeremy,

@Bob3DPO - I have tested your workaround. This does indeed work. Thx!
@jcclow - If you work a lot with circles in your design and want to move them to an exact location, this is indeed tedious. In my opinion this should indeed be solved.

I don’t know if support Shapr3D is reading along with this thread… If so, they may be able to give them opinion/reaction as well.

I actually just opened a support case with them. Last night I had to make some new feet for a friends PC case, that I 3D printed, and ran into both of these issues again.

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help.

@jcclow Perfect! Possibly they could include this with a new release right away.

As a newbie (me:-) it is always difficult to determine whether you don’t get it or are doing something wrong, or whether it is an issue with the program itself. Hence my reticence in this kind of situation.

We’ll wait and see…

Agreed. It just seems odd that it works for some objects, but not others.