Move scale pivot to edge of circle without snapping to circle center

I’m trying to move the scale tool pivot to a point on a circular edge, but it just snaps to the center of the circle when I try. That’s great for when you need the center, but is there a way to override that behavior?

Maybe there is another way how to do that but as a workaround you can put it very close instead of snapping to circle.

The problem is that Shapr needs to know where on the circle you want to snap. Make a construction line that intersects the circle at your desired snap point. Depending on your needs, you might make it tangent or at a specific angle from a different reference point.

Tried that, too. No dice. :frowning:

Yeah, I’ll probably end up having to do that. Was just hoping there was a way to do it precisely. Thanks!

Using method suggested by @Steve

Oh, I should have been more clear. I’m trying to scale a face with a pivot at its (circular) edge.

Beat me to it on the video. I was going to make one, but had to go outside to watch the solar eclipse.

Should still work. Just select the face, and draw a construction line though your desired pivot point.

You’ve teach me something new today :nerd_face:

Weird, I definitely did not get that result when I tried. I’ll give it another go. Thanks. You too, @Steve

1 Like

Just tried it a couple more times myself. Does seem to be a little bit hit or miss. Seems to work best if you start the scale command immediately after drawing the construction line, although that is just a guess. Might have something to do with competing snap points and getting exactly on the right place. May have to turn off grid snap or other snap points. I’m going to experiment some more and will let you know if I figure out anything definitive.

1 Like

Okay, I think I’ve figured out why it only works part of the time. Pretty sure it is related to the new feature where you can have multiple independent sketches on the exact same 3D plane space, and each sketch plane is deactivated after you use it to create or change a body. Overall, I think it makes the drawing cleaner and less cluttered, but it can be a little confusing when your mind is stuck in the old way of doing things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In any event, with this bit of understanding, hopefully it will solve your problem.

1 Like