Chamfer Angles

Currently, the chamfer tool only specifies depth, but not angle.
Default angle is 45 degrees, but it would be nice to change that angle, or even set a default.

So possibly, when you select an edge to chamfer, you would have the double arrow for the chamfer depth, and a curved double arrow for chamfer angle, much like the extrude tool.

Is this something that could easily be implemented?

2 Likes

You can adjust a chamfer after it is created by using the rotate function.

6 Likes

@jpulaski thanks for the reply.

True, I can adjust it manually after the chamfer is formed, but I do not know the degree angle without having to calculate it out.
Also, my chamfer concerns primarily apply to holes.

What I’ve seen (from my very limited experience) in other software is the chamfers can be determined by entering the angle and depth. For a lot a modeling in Shapr it seems the chamfer is just to break an edge or for aesthetics.

A 90/45 degree chamfer is default in Shapr, and common with metric hardware, so in those use cases it’s already good to go.
82 is more common with a lot of SAE applications which I find myself using the most.
100-110 is for aviation rivets usually, which I use for some applications.

I’m hoping for maybe a simple add-on to the Chamfer/Fillet tool that has the option to change the angle, if even to common presets. And then using the same “flip button” that is used on the Align tool to set the direction if the chamfer angle is anything other than 45.

My workaround so far is to draw a “countersink tool” extruded with a draft angle that matches the target angle, plunging it into a hole to the depth needed, and subtracting the “countersink” from the body. But this is tedious for such a simple function.

I know there is work being done currently in regards to hole and thread functions, and hopefully this functionality is being considered as well.

4 Likes

Is there possibly any consideration of this function?

2 Likes

Just bumping this to see if there is any interest. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I do think that it would be a useful feature; I do table edges, and although the 45 degrees is fine for a visual, some of our designs do angle less than others. I do see the rotate option would work, but for a program that lets you do nearly exactly what you want for so many things, it would simplify it.

2 Likes