Change the length of a body without changing the degree of the beveled faces

Hi Forum,

as show in the pic below I wanna change the length of a body by 5mm without changing the degree of both bevels (45°). I tried several things but the only clue I found is grabbing the bevels to drag their faces simultaneously (by selecting both faces). This works, the angle of 45° does not change but only the length of the body. However I need to apply some “ugly trigonometry” to figure out how far the faces need to be dragged - here: 1.76776695297 mm to change the body length from 185mm to 190mm.

Isn’t there a straight way to directly change the body length? Likely a no-brainer for the experts here :wink:

Thank you!

This is where the power of parametrics comes in. Simply create your sketch as shown below and then make an extrusion from that sketch. Alternatively, you can sketch a rectangle, extrude it, and add the 45 deg chamfers. In both cases, the sketch will be in the History panel and can be modified.

Another option is to use the Move/Rotate function rather than Offset Face. Select the face, move the gadget until the arrows point in the plane in which you want to stretch it, and move the face.

Not sure if I got this right, but in this case I’d need to apply some math to get to the fraction I need to move the face; wouldn’t I?

Definitively the way to go for new constructions!