Great answer and makes perfect sense. If preventing “bad reviews” is the goal, then I would expect that if you support Duo, you will need to have a graceful way to degrade the experience based on form factor. To me, the Duo is more like an iPad than an iPhone (in some orientations). So when the screen is closed, I could see a “view-only experience,” and when it is open, it is more of the iPad experience with a pencil.
I am sure your UX people (who I feel are some of the best in the industry) are pulling your hair out over this. But also, I think it would be great for us end users and for your reviews. How much “real” value it brings, I am not sure. But it’s a one-time pain on your side to map a graceful downgrade of the experience, and it will need tweaking for as long as the product exists.
Can’t wait to see what you do.
The CAD spacing is really getting crazy, but also very exciting again!
I wish iPhone Duo ran iPad OS instead of iPhone OS. Only because you can run iPhone apps on iPad, but you can’t do it the other way around. It’s unfortunate to me that Apple didn’t do that considering opening the Duo is essentially a mini iPad. You would natively be able to run way more apps on iPad OS, while still being able to run iPhone OS apps. As an Android and iPad user, I would’ve probably considered getting the Duo and switching from Android because I really do love the iPad.
For me, the iPhone Duo is simply too expensive, so I definitely won’t be buying one at this price.
If it had come with some kind of foldable Pencil built into the device, I might have found it a much more interesting option. Not just for Shapr3D, but for other apps as well. The great thing about a phone is that you always have it with you. Having to carry a separate Pencil takes away some of that convenience for me, because I know I wouldn’t always have the Pencil with me.
I currently have both an iPad mini and an 11-inch iPad. Interestingly, Shapr3D is the first app that has ever made my 11-inch iPad feel too small. I actually wish Apple had made an even larger iPad.
So for Shapr3D, I’m personally much more interested in having more screen space than in making the device smaller and more portable.
I can see the immense value of the iPhone Duo with full capabilities of Shapr3D for the constant travellers like me, the only thing holding me off buying it is the possibility of not have a full usage of this app that I use daily.
I work in cruise ships, and right now I need to carry my iPhone and iPad Pro everywhere to get wifi for updates and upload my designs, while with this device I could carry on very easily and even work without needing to think about it, just by carrying the pencil, instead of deciding every port if I would work on the iPad or not and having to get a bag just to do so. I understand how the small screen could be a concern, but the iPad mini can run the app without any compromises, so for constant commuters it would be an invaluable addition as it really would encompass the possibility of working on the go.
I have shapr3D on my Mac but always prefer my iPad becuase of the Apple Pencil. I only have my iPad for this and it needs replacing. If Shapr3D comes to iPhone duo I will buy one.