Create sketch from body

Is it possible to create a sketch from one face of a body?

2 Likes

Yes. You can use the ‘project’ tool to project a sketch from one face of a body onto the default plane, a new plane or onto the surface of another body

2 Likes

Another way is double tap with your finger on the surface of the body. This creates a sketch surface.

1 Like

My understanding is that @DigitalM wanted to create a sketch from one surface of a body not on the surface of a body.

1 Like

It creates a sketch plane on the surface of the body. You can hide the body, but the sketch plane still remains. You can also take and move that plane forward or backward as required. In my mind, it saves a step or two.

1 Like

@welshsteve is correct. I had modified a sketch, created a body from it, carried out various chamfers that I wanted incorporated into a sketch before proceeding further. Obviously you have to be pretty sure that they are exactly as you want them before doing such a thing.

1 Like

Thx @welshsteve, that worked!

1 Like

Hi @McD, it creates a plane, but it doesn’t create a sketch of the edges of the selected body, right? The was the aim.

Understood. I must have misread or misinterpreted your message. No worries. You can still project the body onto this plane however.

1 Like

I just figured this out the other day. You can create a reference plane on the face you want a sketch of, move it away from the body (not sure why you have to do this, but it’s the secret sauce), select the edges or face of the body you want to create a sketch of, project it onto the plane using the project tool, and it’ll create a sketch that’s coplanar with the reference plane. Then move the sketch back to the surface you actually want it to be on.

There should absolutely be a “project to new sketch” feature, but this is a workaround.

1 Like

I made a quick video here. Sorry, no mic!

1 Like

You don’t need to move the plane before projecting.

1 Like

Oh that saves some steps! I must’ve misinterpreted something in my initial attempts :slight_smile: Thanks @TigerMike !

You’re welcome. No problem, as I have initially done the same with first moving the plane.
Here’s a tidbit- you can project onto another surface with no need for a plane. In this example I want to create a corresponding screw hole in another body.

You know these steps work well but just as I have said many times before the whole process that you have shown could be eliminated with one command called “Use Edge” that is in almost all of the top Cad software’s on the market today this seems to me to be a very simple fix. Add the “Use Edge” command to the Shapr3D tools. And Mike just wanted to say you are a great help to the Shapr3D community.

Thank you

1 Like