Create wingtip edge

I would appreciate some help. Trying to create a wingtip edge. I have lofted the wing but the wingtip needs to sweep around the edge from thick to thin at the back.

1 Like

I would develop profiles and Loft transverse to the wing.

Best,

Tommy

@JanLou
Here are a couple of Threads with ideas on this subject:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/smoothen-loft-shapes/8776

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/how-create-a-bulb-like-wingtip-for-a-rc-airplane/5949

Here are 2 variations that may help. The 1st one I used a 180° revolve to create the wing tip. The 2nd one I made a short extrude and did a chamfer. Note: chamfers are tricky and may not work as desired.
Hope this helps.
-Mike

1 Like

Thank you Mike - going to try this. The wingtip has a very specific shape from plan above - I will play around a bit and revert.

Thanks everyone. It seems that there is no shortcuts here. In the end I
Drew sections and lofted them to get the final result and force it to comform to the exact shape. Hope this helps anyone with a similar
Question.

8 Likes

@JanLou
Thanks for sharing a solution, with a true Aerofoil it is not as simple as Revolve or in your case Mirror to form the shape.
The suggested wingtip Pod used a similar method but accounted for the upper surface having a pronounced curve compared to the under surface.

Yes - fortunately the tailplane has a symmetrical profile. The wing itself has an aerofoil shape. The cumber underneath will have to be lofted at the same time without mirroring the end result.

@JanLou

From the above it seems that you are working on the wing, however good to see you have it under close control.

It would be nice a “dome” tool like in the sldworks for wing tip, for flying models.
Also would be nice guided loft , because with cambered airfoils the lofted body(wings) have no straight leading edge at now:(!
The purple body like a ruler, can be see, in the zoom in picture, a gap, between the le edge.
It looks the konoid effect.
image|666x500

2 Likes

The second picture left…

1 Like