Creating a spheroid

Im trying to create something like this:

I haven’t found a way to do this. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Mike

This is a revolved body. I would sketch a spline with 4 control points to create the profile, and then I would simply revolve it. Does this make sense to you?

Hi Mike,

I created a short video on how to create a spheroid in Shapr3D.

As Istvan mentioned:

1. Create a spline with control verticals / points. You can do it by drawing with the pencil, clicking and continue drawing. Make sure to keep contact with the Apple Pencil in the meanwhile.
  2. Once you are ready, just lift the pencil.
  3. Add the vertical axis, we’ll use this to revolve the spline around it.
  4. You can adjust the control points later too if you select the spline.
  5. Select Tools / Revolve. Follow the instructions and revolve the spline by 360 degrees.
  6. You are ready.

If you don’t like the shape, just delete the blue object and go back to edit the spline with the control points and repeat steps 5 and 6.

1 Like

Thanks for the demo! Quick response. I had used that method and was able to get similar results. If you look at the spheroid, it looks like a circle from above since the X and Y dimensions are the same. I would like to create a spheroid where all three dimensions can differ in length. I don’t see a way to do it through revolving a shape or using a sweep. It might not be something I can create yet.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

OK, got it. Can you send me a photo of a spheroid you want to replicate? I will try to come up with a solution if there’s any.

I am thinking about drawing a 1/4 of an ellipse, revolving that around the Y axis, than do a different 1/4 of another ellipse revolve, maybe with the view rotated.

Is it still not possible to create a spheroid with each of the three dimensions being different?

Hi there,

Here is an approximation of an elongated spheroid. Again, only an approximation. I started with an ellipse, extruded, then radius, then scale and finally radius. Maybe something like this can work for you.

-Mike

Hello Mietek,
I meant for my reply above to be sent to you.
-Mike