Cylinder with Grid Surface?

I’d like to have a cylinder that has a 360 degree grid on the surface. For the life of me
I can’t wrap my head around how to accomplish this. Basically, if you take a piece of graph paper and roll it into a cylinder shape this is what I’m trying to achieve. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Do you want the grid to be a recessed groove in the cylinder?

Not sure yet Mike.

So here is what I did. I created a 1mm high cylinder. Then used the Split Plane tool and rotated the plane 4 degrees on each split. That gives me 90 slices around. Now I would need to duplicate that single layer as much as I needed to achieve the desired height. And scale accordingly. But each “grid” is square.

It worked but is there a better/faster was to archive this?

One more note to better answer your question. I just want to be able to manipulate each grid piece.

What is the purpose of the grid? What does it do?

When your saying grid can you be more descriptive?

Are you meaning something like this

2 Likes

See the image I uploaded. It is one slice of the cylinder. Once I start stacking multiple layers I’d have the grid I’m looking for. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to achieve my goal of being able to manipulate each grid piece on the outside of the cylinder.

I think we are still not clear as to what you want to achieve (at least I’m not clear).
You have a cylinder consisting of 90 pie pieces, right?
If you want to stack more of said cylinders I suggest they be put in a folder to start with.
Now you can copy-move multiple cylinders each of which are in new folders that have 90 pie pieces each.
Not sure what you mean by ‘scale accordingly’, but here’s a go at showing you something.

@Pascal, I believe the rectangles behave correctly when pushed in and out because you are only manipulating parts (rectangles) of a single cylinder body.

I hear what you are saying and I don’t disagree however I believe the behavior is correct. The behavior is exactly the same if you try your projection on a rectangular body. Also the same behavior if you sketched directly on the face of a rectangle. The action is merely extruding in or out.

Yes, I have each layer in their own folder. By manipulating them I’m doing exactly as you are. In and out and deleting different ones. I’m not sure at what point Shapr will run into a performance issue on my ipad when I start adding my layers but I’ll find out soon enough.

This is a nice alternative way to accomplish the same thing. I didn’t think of projection. I think it would be harder for me to keep rotating the cylinder and projecting the grid vs using the plane slice option.

This raises another question Pascal about the projection method. If I had a dxf of a grid pattern it would be flat. Is there anyway to project the imported dxf around a cylinder? I’m pretty sure that is not possible but it would be a super simple mean to an end for me.

I was able to make a “wrapped” design (tire tread).

It wasn’t very straight forward to do, but it worked.

3 Likes

Fusion360, $500. Ouch! I can’t justify the price right now. I sure wish Shapr could do this.

I’m have the standard Shapr license. That’s half the price of Fusion3D.

Wait, I just read anyone can get Fusion360 for free if you make less than 100k or are just an enthusiast. I’m trying it for sure but I’ll continue to keep my Shapr license.

That’s the license I have.