Deleting the sketching pane deletes associated body

If the expectation (fairly so, IMO) is that we keep sketches around after creating bodies from them, I feel like there needs to be a clear indicator of the connection between the two. Like, select a sketch and it highlights, maybe in a different color from normal selection, any bodies that are linked to the sketch.

Maybe just a subtitle in the hierarchy below the sketch’s name, showing the name of any linked bodies?

Renaming hierarchy objects/creating folders is still a bit too clunky to rely on manually organizing objects to remember what sketches go to what bodies IMO. I basically never use my sketches again, despite being pretty comfortable with parametric modeling at this point, because it’s just easier to make a new sketch (and in a lot of cases, entirely new bodies) 90% of the time (also because adding new elements to a sketch almost always seems to break subsequent history steps).

2 Likes

I think a way to “bake” history steps for a given body would be great. Right now you can do it by exporting to .step and opening the .step file, but being able to do it quickly in a design would be great.

This probably isn’t feasible, though, since history steps don’t usually impact just a single body.

I mean this not like make me confuse by my own design. But too many sketches around bodies is annoying. Clicking, grouping and hiding the sketches is wasting time. Instead of making my work flow 10X, it slowdown my work flow. I give you a perspective from a user.

In this case there are 2 user behavior

1. Who still needs the sketches and hide it
  2. Who doesn’t need the sketches and wants to delete it because it is the fastest way to clear it.

Instead of making a new feature for a new possible behavior, Shapr3d disable 2nd option. I don’t know what Shapr3d want to archive but why? It makes no sense.

Importing to .Step is not a solution. It is adding a new job that I don’t need to do before. My work flow is design then export to .stl. I don’t need to export to .step.

I give you another DOOM scenario. Now I am making a design similar like my previous design:

which contains hundreds of parts and I always move the parts away for the sketches. Then I found a sketch that I don’t know which body linked to, I want to just delete it because it is annoying. And the body linked to it is hidden in the toy and it is a crucial moving part. So the toy is doom and the only way to find the issues is when I 3d print it. I should go back to the design and fix it. Is this updates make my work flow 10X faster?NO.

Can you please add an option to unlink sketches from bodies, or disable these features. Or can I roll back my app updates to the previous version?

4 Likes

Why so complicated? The last update makes trouble only. it is not the software I know and I love. How I can get the version before? Some designs I cannot open now. It is frustrating only. It seems the time of easy design is over.

Volker

3 Likes

This update is terrible. I hate it. My sketch planes get so messy with construction lines. So I clean up and delete the now unnecessary lines. Later I find body’s have been deleted.
With no layers available on sketch planes (still). So you could hide some of your sketches (If they really can’t be deleted.
At least have a warning, that deleting this line will delete a body!!!

3 Likes

I’ve been using Shapr3D as a business version for the last 3 years. However, with this update, intuitive modeling of Shapr3D that I’ve been learning has become impossible. This update has really changed the intrinsic value of Shapr3D a lot. Should I unsubscribe and look into other modeling programs? I’m thinking about it. As a user who has subscribed to the business version for 4 years, I’m advising you. This update is really the worst. I can’t model it.
I’d like you to cancel the update or suggest a way to use it in the traditional way.

5 Likes

Also, this update is causing serious problems with importing DWG files, and I can’t import files that I didn’t have any problems opening .step files before this update. I’m paying for it and using it, should users just use this issue?

2 Likes

Can you add a button to enable this “Do Not Delete Sketch” feature? Since I started using Shapr3D, I have not had the habit of reusing old sketches, I usually delete them. Now that I can’t delete them, it actually takes more time to manage the sketches.

Why would I want to delete a sketch?

Well, why would I want to keep a copy of every single sketch of every primitive shape?

What’s the use of keeping a sketch used only to cut or slice through a body?

Specially now that the sketch lines show through the bodies like an x-ray, which is really distracting when designing.

And if we’re working on isolation mode, it forces us to quit isolation mode so we can move unwanted sketches to a hidden folder.

Isn’t the goal to simplify the 3d modeling process? Then why add extra steps to something that was so simple to begin with?

6 Likes

If you need to change the cut, all you need to do is change the sketch. Give it a try!

2 Likes

I must say for me sketches are absolutely useless, I’m always able to reconstruct the sketches using project feature when I need to! Not mentioning that AFAIK, there is currently no satisfactory way to organize sketches beside completely deleting em all :wastebasket:

1 Like