Dimensioned drawings - Tell us how you need it

As for threads… even a threaded call out feature would be fine.
take my money! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi !
I’m a woodworker making furnitures and I would love to have a feature that allow me to export a kind of 3D-view .pdf (or .jpeg) to have a clear view of each pieces with their dimension. With that I can just print out my sketch and work on each piece separately in my Workshop. I think it does fit with the feature mentioned here. I would like to ask how the development is going on on your side and if you have any release planed soon?

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

Yes yes yes please please please have a function to hid or show dimensions. I am using Shapr3d to make mobile home models for construction.

I can’t understand why some dimensions show and others don’t.

1 Like

Hi Kaj - dimensions will show if you have them locked. Tap on the lock button on the NumPad to lock it.

Okay awesome thank you. I appreciate that!

Love Shapr3d.

Hello Peter

There are ample examples already within this thread, it is uncertain what has brought it to prominence again? [Edit: I now see, from the previous two Posts, how this Thread surfaced again]

Dimensions should enable ALL S3D Designs [2D and 3D] to have the ability to deploy this feature.
It is a really important requirement for all types of Drawings.

Post 16 above is my personal take on this subject

Seemingly it needs a simple straight forward solution enabling the User to enter:

1. Dimensions by first clicking on a Start Point and then on a Finish Point.

2. Auto calculate the distance and display the result in the most convenient manner.

3. The Units in Use should be the Units Displayed.

4. I would be helpful, considering there importance of this information, for the Dimension and Units to be Emboldened in a Font similar to Ariel [could be Ariel Black to give the desired Bold effect?]

5. It would also be useful in many instances to omit the Units and restrict dimensions to Whole Units where lack of space becomes a problem.

6. To avoid Screen Clutter the Dimension Settings could be banished to the separate Settings Page? By rearranging the pages the First page opening from the Gearwheel Icon could contain Links to:

Account

Preferences

Notifications

Dimensions

About

This will offer easy access without sidelining anything, additionally to ‘slim’ down On Screen Information Units could be added to the above list?

1. The last urgent requirement is to enable an ability for users to Type in Annotations, this feature could also join the above list.

This type of arrangement will satisfy the greater majority of Users while enabling all forms of Dimensioning to be achieved.

1. Suggestions regarding Call Outs, Dimension Modifications Dimension Line Endings, e.t.c, can
    follow when Development time permits.

2. Last but by no means least all the above NEED to be captured for use via the S3D Image Capture System and via standard ScreenShot Captures.

A Poll of Dimension Requirements would not seem appropriate but obviously If S3D need this information it is within their power to obtain what the majority of Users need from Dimensioning and Annotations.

I have read every thread on this subject. I have watched and reviewed everything tool tutorial on your learning options.

I tried your suggestion of locking and unlocking the dimensions to show or hide the dimension box.

It is still inconsistent. It’s important for me to lock lines inplace so the drawing doesn’t move. Then going back and creating a line over segment of the drawing to create a needed dimension doesn’t work because the lin either disappears or the dimension box disappears if I draw somewhere else.

I would like a option to click on that shows hide or show dimension, or mabye a ruler line that is specifically designed just to show relevant dimensions.
If there is something I am missing I would love a link to learn how to work the dimensions.

Thank you for your help with this.

Can you please give me a visual example for me on what you would like to do see, and I’ll be happy to recreate it for you.

I tried locking and unlocking; but when I go out and come back, the dimension box is gone. I understand that when the line locks the dimension box goes; but for building it’s important to lock lines so when lines are added the previous line doesn’t move.

Thanks for your hard work I appreciate it.

Oh, I see - thanks for the explanation.

Locked dimensions show up until you draw on the same plane. Once you change planes, they will disappear.

Understand the use case now though, thanks for the explanation.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is what I do normally when I need to make a drawing for a producer. In this case the table is drawn in shapr and then exported to fusion360 from where I made the technical drawings.

• I think it is important that the drawings can contain several sheets .
  • If you change something in the model the drawing should change automatically with it.
  • possibility to add notes
  • part list with names coming from the names of the groups and or objects.
  • Cross sections.
  • Detailed views.
  • Change of scale.
  • Change of perspective.
4 Likes

Hi, I’ve just tried the app for the first time, definitely was considering a full year subscription given that the modeling process is super simple yet precise and effective. But by the time I finished my first sketch I tried to add dimensions and notes witch is what I always do after I finish my sketches and I realized that I couldn’t. Big letdown.
I think that having such a useful modeling tool just for exporting a 3d file to use on another cad program or to send it to a 3d printer it’s a waste of potential. Reading the threads regarding this topic I realize that everybody else has the same feeling.
Adding dimensions and notes to a 3d model is the first thing you need to be able to share it with coworkers or other manufacturers. Because at the end of the day, drawing a 3d model is a communication method, and unless you’re talking to a machine, you need to express measurements and notes.
It was a good but brief experience. Going to cancel my subscription, because the app without this feature is not useful. But I’ll definitely keep my eye on an upcoming update.
Although by going deep on the forum seems like you guys are promising this since 2016, so my hopes are not to high.
Anyway, thanks for reading this message! Hope my feedback is useful to you!:v:t3:

7 Likes

PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO HIM!

arch. giorgio pezzi

1 Like

Must be a work around you could implement. For what this software does, it’s a cheap price to get an idea to a picture or a 3D model, if you are lucky enough to have a 3D printer. What’s wrong with printing your part on paper and using a #2 pencil.

2 Likes

Honestly, the application does seem amazing but the lack of dimensions are a deal breaker for me if it’s been hashed out for this long and it’s still not available. I want two main things out of this application for the subscription fee of $239/year.

First is a way to visually design my cabinet projects so I can present them to a customer in a view that allows 2-dimensionally challenged to really understand what their project will look like. This is already possible and fantastic.

Second is an all-in-one solution for myself that I can then carry out to the shop and view my dimensions so I can make up my list of parts. If I make changes on the fly, see new dimensions… etc. I don’t want to click each part and read tiny number at the bottom of a screen and I don’t want to use a second application just for the dimensions. This seems like it should be a pretty easy ask but maybe it’s not as easy as it appears?

I’ll just use the free version for a bit longer and see what the deal is going to be on the dimensioning feature. It is there already from what I can see when you draw a rectangle or create other geometry… the dimensions display so you can set the exact size… why can’t that be viewed as an option?

6 Likes

Why don’t you project the forms you need on a separate plane? Then you put in the dimensions you need and looked them. Then you hide everything else, and when you click on one of the dimensions you will see them all and you can print them! First as a printscreen and then you print the printscreen on paper.

It worked for me.
Good luck, best regards, Hans

2 Likes

That sounds interesting but not sure I follow exactly as I just got started with S3D…

My normal process has been -

Take an AR photo in Morpholio to create a perspective sketch for the client. This allows them to see a perspective based sketch in their space. Helps people understand as most don’t grasp what a project looks like from a 2d drawing.

Then I create the 2D drawings in Graphic on my iPad as that will give me dimensions that are useful in the shop.

Goal is to do all of this on S3D and eliminate the need for another app.

1 Like

Yes, this feature is on our roadmap - still without an ETA. We are still working on the basic interactions, and the general look of the app.
The method @Hans is referring to is covered in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9y8l1icSUQ

Hope it helps

4 Likes