Dimensioned drawings - Tell us how you need it

Hi, as a furniture designer and maker, dimensioned drawings would be really helpful for me.
My typical workflow for a kitchen for example, is measuring up a site, drawing that room in shapr, then drawing the kitchen into the space.
For clients I often find it very beneficial to send them the drawing 3 dimensionally rather than in a 3 point perspective. To show dimensions on that drawing so they can understand better, the space around their kitchen would be great.
Later I would come back to the drawing and redo it in more detail so I can take my iPad into the workshop and build directly from those drawings. Again showing dimensions would be helpful.
I don’t have the time or inclination and for that matter the knowledge to export to a CAD programme (again at more expense) in order to draw again with dimensions. I would really like to be able to do it in shapr. Perhaps on a projected workplane?
Thank you, and love the amendments all ready taking place.
Tom

2 Likes

Exactly what I would want to you the app for!!

Please help, my full version of Shapr3D is gone, I am unable to save any work.
David Priebe
99dave.p@gmail.com

Is there any progress on this ??

Yeah. Knock knock this thing on?

Just have a read of 2D Engineering drawing dimensioning standards. It’ll be clear then. Bsically 3 views in 2D, that covers all of product. SI (Systems International).

See simple example attached.

Just having the damn dimensions stay on the drawing while working would be really nice. I just don’t understand that at all!

If you lock the dimensions (set a value to a dimension) they will stay there until you are editing the sketch.

Only if you touch the drawing in some way. So not that much value.

This would be the killer feature that gets me to subscribe to the full version.

1 Like

I fell in love with this app yesterday. It works so intuitively for me. The way I can work between the pen and gestures is amazing. I was literally more thrilled about it than anything in months. I have tried out OnShape and Fusion360, and this won me over. For some context, I design outdoor wear and currently am working on an external frame backpack. More context: I have M.Arch so am all over Autodesk’s product suite. But today I have to abandon your app. The frame design I am working will have to go to a fabricator as a set of measured drawings. The work arounds I am learning in this thread are ridiculous. The video “Creating manufacturing drawings from your Shapr3D designs” was an insult after all the comments that have been made by very committed designers prior to it on this thread - too many steps, too involved and not scalable. I understand that you probably have limited resources for development, and appreciate that you are asking for input. For example, I found another thread where you are asking for input on new features. There though, I saw no one was asking for dimensions. I can imagine you might get the impression that this pushes down the priority on dimensioned production drawings, but I am willing to bet the people on this thread just don’t stay around long enough become much of a voice in your user base. They are just gone. Along these lines, my partner just came by and said you are clearly not listening so I shouldn’t to leave a comment. But I will, if nothing else because I appreciate all of the other comments others have made. Sorry if this comment sounds terse. It’s just that I was so thrilled by your app earlier. It was like the clouds had parted and the sun finally shown through.

1 Like

Hi @Mark, “real” drawings are the next thing on our roadmap. We are actively working in the design and implementation. Definitely a top priority. You can help us with delivering the right thing by telling us a little bit about your needs, eg. what standards do you prefer, what is the minimum feature set that would be good enough for you, etc.

1 Like

OMG thx for bringing up the topic and shapr3d thx for listening.
One of the things I do quite often in openSCAD is design things around set thickness of materials for laser cutting, and I was having a similar thought.
How do I take the designs and flatten them for laser cutting?
I normally achieve this by exporting a SVG via a projection to scale ( Say down the Z axis ) this is quite automatic ( once you have dissembled the object )
I can then use the 2D model directly in my laser, this type of 2D manufacture is not common for sure , but since the export is to scale you could use it to convey dimensions by post processing into a blueprint.

I watched the videos and see that this is a very labourous task on shapr3d and could easily be automated for my type of function.

I am at a loss why the dxf and dwg exports can not be optionally to scale so I can use them in a 2D application like laser cutting… ( and import to use as a blueprint )

I am not sure I understand what you mean. In the current live version, you can project your bodies to a plane, and export the projected sketches as DXF/DWG at scale. Is this what you are looking for?

1 Like

Oh ok , that works.
Not initiative but it works for me.
( It took me a while to realize how DWG and DXF selects which items to export and i missed the in scale when on construction plane )
Sorry thx for the feedback, that works for now.

2 Likes

Hi Istvan,

Thank you for your reply. I’m glad to hear this is next up on your roadmap. I woke up this morning with renewed interest in making some sort of workflow work with S3D rather than retreating to OnShape. I’ll take some time today to see if I can make it easy for me to pass exports for dimensioning into an iPad based CAD app until this feature is built.

My reqs are pretty simple and revolve around two work flows

1. Creating measured drawings for prototypes that may get printed out by the fabricator.
  2. Creating measured drawings for concept reviews with a team that is all over the world. I use Google Slides and share drawings via Zoom for this. So I have some requests below about digital exports.

I’ll start with what I don’t need:

1. Drafting tools. I am not looking to add to the object. I won’t need to draw lines etc on the object, or manipulate the object. I’ll expecting to do that in the 3D space.
  2. Tools for creating sets of drawings in version 1.

What I do need:
SETUP

1. Choice of standard sheet sheet sizes. I’ll send them digitally to a printer for pick up.
  2. Choice also to go with images instead of sheets. I’m on screen so need control of aspect ratios, DPI and sizes in pixels. There are two aspect ratios to care about 4:3 (For old school PPT users) and 16:9 aspect ratio for Google Slides and sharing via Zoom (my own needs).

CREATION

1. Repeatable/dynamic text blocks that include name of project, my name, date, scale, etc.
  2. Notes
  3. Call outs
  4. Dimensions with choice of ends. For example hashes when I want to string them along. I only use arrows for interior dims. But just a preference of mine. Everyone is different.
  5. Lines for framing and organizing the sheet

SHARING:

1. Export to jpg, png, gif, dxf and dwg.
  2. Export digital images with a choice of dpi. I’ll go between dpi for printing and reduced dpi for email.
  3. Export digital images at selectable dimensions (again to make email shares easy. I don’t want to insert a 1400px wide jpg inline with text in an email when I need to have images inline and not attached).
  4. Export as png with transparent background so I can integrate with drawings I am building in Procreate and AI.
  5. Make it easy to use the native iOS features to help me share the tastier sheets to Instagram and Pinterest. :smile: include a prompt to add #shapr3d to the post. Gotta get the shares up!

Ok. Thanks for asking. This was a one shot brain dump so it’s probably not perfect. I’m happy to be contacted by your team later if you have questions.

Best,
-Mark

1 Like

Very cool, thank you. Do you have any preferences regarding the standards (ISO, etc.)?

No. Not yet at least.

1 Like

Hi there, can I ask a question in return to yours? Can you tell us why we DON’T need dimensioned drawings? :smiley:

1 Like

We definitely need them. :slight_smile: It’s the next big thing on our roadmap.

1 Like