Dimensions precision

The problem that this feature will solve:

The dimensional precision is a global setting in each drawing. Once a precision is chosen, it is applied to all dimensional callouts of similar type (length, for example). The standard practice in manufacturing is to tie displayed precision to tolerance, usually in the title block. For example:

X.XX +/-0.010”
X.XXX +/-0.001”
X/X +/- 1/64”

It appears that there is no way to choose precision individually for each dimension callout. This presents considerable difficulty in producing drawings for manufacturing, where one might naturally want to display the length of a shaft as a fraction, with +/- 1/64” tolerance, while displaying the diameter of a bearing journal on that shaft as an X.XXXX” dimension. Displaying the length of the shaft to X.XXXX’ precision looks unprofessional, and machinists and professionals will sneer at such drawings.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

I love Shapr3D, don’t get me wrong, but as it stands, it is not yet capable of producing blueprints that can be handed out to the shop floor with proper annotations, tolerances, and dimensional precisions. If the 2 dimensional drawing capabilities were up to professional grade, I could easily use Shapr3D exclusively.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

It’s absolutely a workflow blocker. I have to export solid models to AutoCAD, or Solidworks in order to produce respectable drawings that can be presented to the shop floor. I would like Shapr3D to be my one-stop solution that allows me to model, blueprint, and print drawings on the go, or on the shop floor with nothing but my iPad. It’s close, but just not there yet.

1 Like

I agree. There needs to be a way to override the precision for each dimension. I have not tried GD&T features yet. It is great for 3D modeling, but I should not have to export to Solidworks or Creo to create a drawing.

I agree with you 100% I know that Shapr3d is more focused on getting the HBPM beta to released but I think there is a lot of improvements that can be done to the drawing side of Shapr3D. I am running into the same issue as you when it comes to creating the drawing I have to do it on a different Cad software to get a clean drawing. I hope major improvement will be coming to the drawing side to Shapr3d in the near future.