Do Shapr3D work on the Vision Pro?

I understand that you are disappointed. We don’t take away anything from the current product from our existing customers, and we want to keep it that way, and we’ll keep improving the Pro tier as well. For example we’ve just shipped parametric modeling, which is available for every customer. However we will keep adding more features to our enterprise tier in the future, and not every new functionality will be available in the Pro tier.

I really don’t understand the reasoning for this decision. I have to believe that some (perhaps most) of your Enterprise customers only signed up because one or more of their employees discovered Shapr on their own, and convinced the boss to give it a try. I suspect that will be even more likely with a $3500 cost of entry device. Many businesses may not want to spend that much just to experiment — at least not until it becomes much more widely accepted and available.

Perhaps I’m missing something. I’m a very casual Shapr user who only uses it once or twice a year for a home improvement project (so, monthly when needed), but I would almost certainly use (and pay for) it more often if you made AVP support available on the Pro tier.

Also, and this is a biggie — I strongly suspect that you will NEED the support of enthusiastic (and comparatively patient) amateurs to even get the product mature enough to be useful to enterprise customers. I love my Vision Pro, but it is very much a first generation product. Lots of things are going to change in the next year or two, including Apple’s devkit and API’s, but especially user interface and interaction conventions. The more useful feedback you can get from early adopters, the better off you will be.

7 Likes

It seems like “we’re not taking away anything from our Pro users” is just the diplomatic way of saying “we’re leaving you behind altogether on this new platform.”

And as other commenters have pointed out, this doesn’t make any sense. There are fewer than 200,000 Vision Pro units in the wild right now, the overwhelming majority of which are in the hands of casual users, early adopters or developers. How could there be enough actual companies with the hardware investment necessary to make dedicating resources towards an Enterprise-only Vision Pro version of Shapr3D even remotely worth it?

There’s no demographic large enough to go after profitably that level, and there’s no user base large enough to effectively beta test. Apple is pitching the Vision Pro as a work machine, but guys, it’s not going to be a viable enterprise machine for a good long while.

Just open it up to the Pro tier already.

2 Likes

I understand your disappointment. While it’s very cool to use Shapr3D on the Vision Pro, we can provide exponentially more value to our enterprise customers on this new platform. If the Vision Pro becomes a widely adopted device outside enterprise companies, we might reconsider making some parts of our Vision Pro product available in other tiers. This new product that we built is focusing on collaboration, which is valuable for bigger teams, that have access to multiple Vision Pros. If you just want to look at your designs in 3D, you can export from Shapr3D to USDZ format, and open that on the Vision Pro. You can also use Shapr3D on Vision Pro using the platform’s Virtual Mac functionality.

Absolutely unbelievable. I can’t believe I pay $300 a year for this software and I don’t get access to it on all the platforms it runs on. I could understand if it was a one-time fee and I had to buy it again on a new platform but if you’re selling an all-in subscription it should actually come with all the features. This is not the kind of feature to limit to enterprise customers, they should be paying for premium support, training, SSO, and account managers, but the platform availability should be the same. I can’t believe this company is so hostile to their customers are already paying for one of the most expensive software subscriptions available on Apple platforms.

3 Likes

I understand your point, however our Vision Pro product is focused on collaboration and design reviews. We don’t see how that could be valuable for individual users. We have many other benefits in our enterprise package, like self-hosted private cloud, SSO, team collaboration features and more. Should we decide in the future to build a product that benefits our individual users as well, we’ll definitely consider making it available in our other packages as well.

The promotional materials show that the AVP version also appears to include a fully functional modeling interface that works standalone in the AVP with a keyboard and trackpad. I could understand if you decided to gatekeep the collaboration and review features meant for teams, but there is no reason to not let paying customers use the regular modeling interface on every platform it supports.

I just want to use the modeling software I pay for on this platform the same way I do on every other platform, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

1 Like

The editing capabilities of the Vision Pro product are also focused on collaboration, and real time modification in design reviews, so that instead of going back and forth between your desktop CAD and a VR viewer, you can adjust your designs real time based on stakeholder feedback.

If you just want to use Shapr3D on the Vision Pro, you can easily do that with the Virtual Mac functionality of visionOS, and get a great experience. You can also export your designs in USDZ, and immediately view them in 3D on the Vision Pro. All of this can be done with the Pro tier.

Everything you said is true. I’ve just spent the day recreating an old design with Virtual Mac on the Vision Pro with a few extra windows (Apple Notes) displaying some images and measurements “floating on the side. It worked great, and helped me learn to take advantage of the new parametric features.

However, as you have noticed, it seems that a lot of us have fallen in love with our shiny new, very expensive new toys, and really, really want to take advantage of them as much as possible — even if some programs are not particularly useful yet.

You might have better luck calming down the malcontents (myself included :grinning: ) if you could explain why it is (apparently) not as simple as just enabling any other paid feature.

Now that I have thought about it a while, I’m guessing that the collaboration features require more work on your end. Hardware, software, or support staff — possibly some combination of all three. Which makes sense. Simultaneous access to the same file can cause all sorts of problems if not done correctly.

Whatever the reason, if it is not economically feasible without an additional charge, just let us know. I suspect most people will quit complaining if they have a better understanding of the reasons.

1 Like

The purpose of Shapr3D on Vision Pro is to accelerate design reviews and design iterations at enterprise companies, and increase the effectiveness of design communication. We defined the functional product requirements based on these goals. We could have built a different product focused on the individual user, but we’ve seen strong demand from our enterprise customers for this functionality, which is seen by us as a a good first step on this new platform: truly valuable use case, that’s not just a cool gimmick. We always aim to maximize the value we generate for our customers, and on Apple Vision Pro, out of all the potential features and services that we we could build, this seemed to be the most viable and most valuable use case. I truly appreciate your excitement for Shapr3D on Vision Pro. Should we come up with additional features that provide more value for the individual user than the Virtual Mac functionality, we’ll definitely consider making those features available in other tiers.

Just yesterday we had the Vision Pro launch event, with participants from companies like SLB, DeLonghi Group, Apple, P&G, journalists and industry analysts. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive, and we are excited to see where we can take this new platform. We’ll heavily invest in this new technology, and we’ll keep our eyes open for new opportunities, including functionality for individual use cases.

2 Likes