Export - Density Options of Edges?

I love my first tests using Shapr.
However, what’s super important for me is to have an export option, where I can control the density of the Bevels or Chamfers.

I was exporting an .STL file, which is the only option I do have currently in the trial version.

I need to know if any other export options are available, that will allow me to control the density of the polygonal mesh?

Please have a look at the screenshots below:
After import into Blender:

as you can see, the density of the beveled edges is very high. I would like to use Shapr to model Low-Poly Mobile Video Game assets.

So it’s super important, to have export options that will allow me to control the density of certain edge loops, the density of the bevels, chamfers and fillets.

Is this possible?

Below a screenshot from my first test, attempting to model from an image reference, a concept design.

Thanks for any help, thoughts, ideas and input,
appreciate it!
Cheers

Hi @BenShapr

You cannot specifically control the density of chamfers or fillets. In the paid version, you can control all item resolution of .stl exports.

The only reason I have changed the deviation and angle tolerance is to export a design that otherwise would not export.

Accepted values for these tolerances:
IMG_0474

Hey Bob, thank you so much.

Hmm… so that means, I could somehow control the resolution.
But doesn’t that mean, if I go with the lowest resolution, that I will not have as many edges?

Is it possible to share my test file for you to see how the mesh would likke like when using different export settings?

Do you believe the mesh can be used for Low-Poly Mobile Games?

Thank you so much!

Sure. Send it to lemming.rallies-0e@icloud.com

Other questions…. I don’t know.

How can I send you the shapr project file?

I can only find an export option for a .stl file, which you can download with the link below.

But if I can only export the .stl file, you will not be able to run export tests on you own, right?

Download .stl file:
for_bob.zip (30.7 KB)

Export it as a Shapr3D project file.

Ben, you are correct, I would need the .shapr file. If that export is not available on the free or trial version, sorry I won’t be able to test for you.

I only have the free trial, and that doesn’t allow me to export a shapr3d project file. What a bummer… I guess for testing it would be also very important, especially if you want to check all export options to see if the mesh qialifies also for low-poly mobile game assets,

I really would like to know, if it’s actually possible to use shapr3d to create low-poly mobile game assets.

when exporting an .stl file, and importing into Blender… it’s too dens, and it looks pretty messy.

Not sure what is recommended here from all the Shapr Pros?

thx for any ideas, and all your thoughts!

Ah, I see. Well perhaps try the full version for a month?

2 Likes

Great idea, Tom!!!

@BenShapr, that would be the best way to give Shapr3d a “real” test.

lol; yeah sure… but I have to admit, what’s the trial good for testing, if you can’t test it to its full extent with all its features? Kinda odd, don’t understand the philosophy behind that business model.

It drives new potential users away and it’s a huge turn-off. You spend time learning and investing in it, but if you can’t try it with all its built-in features… bruuhhh…

at the end, a happy trial user, will be a happy customer.
just my two cents to this.

also, from all my business experience, driving new customers… it’s usually better to even have some happy artists using that tool, to build a community, extend and mak it make popular. Users like me would create tutorials, etc. that would inspire and help others.

It’s hard to find that… at least, at the current stage. What I can see are youtube ads. Okay, now I added another 50 cents… lol;

I think you are using the free version, and not the trial. You can start a free trial.

interesting… hmmm… and confusing… what’s the difference between a free and trial version? I am pretty sure a lot of users might see both versions as the same.

The free version is a limited by features. The trial is a time limited trial version of the Pro.

1 Like

Thanks, Istvan.
Apologies to all, especially @BenShapr for using free and trial in the same sentence.

@Istvan I see, thank you. What’s your take on the export features and options for low-poly mobile game assets?

• Are there any video tutorials, examples, or recommendations that show preferred low-poly export options?

I am pretty sure I will not be the only one that is interested in that feature. I would say, it’s crucial when using Shapr for hard-surface modeling.

Which, I wanted to say. I love it so far, there is no doubt that I can create hard-surface shapes faster using Shapr, and it seems pretty easy and intuitive to use.

However, in the end… a lot of people do need optimized low-poly meshes, also important for UVWs and the continuous process of texturing.

Thanks for everyone’s input, thoughts, and ideas,
appreciate it!

Game asset design is not in the focus of our product, Shapr3D is designed for physical product design.

1 Like