Faulty 3mf export

Something is wrong with the way Shapr now exports to 3mf. Normally, when the 3mf is imported into Prusaslicer, the slicer asks if it should load the objects in the file, as a single object. This means that it maintains the height coordinates of each object contained in the 3mf.

However, now it happens quite often, that the slicer does not ask on certain 3mf files. So all seperate objects of the 3mf are at 0 height in the slicer. Can be fixed manually by correcting each objects height in the slicer, but that is quite tedious.

I run multiple versions of Prusaslicer, so I confirmed this as well in the recent release, as also in older releases.

Hi there,
Can you please share some of the Shapr3D designs? That would allow us to reproduce the issue - I just gave it a try on a recently installed PrusaSlicer and the popup appears as it should.

If you do not wish to share your designs in the community, please feel free to send them to us in a support ticket using the link below:
https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. Here are two similar files created the same way in Shapr. The one called Sira works fine, the popup appears as it should. The other one, “Joker” has no popup for unknown reasons.

(Attachment Name Sira.3mf is missing)

(Attachment Name Joker.3mf is missing)

You might want to allow 3mf files. Anyway, here they are as zip.

Name.zip (232 KB)

Got it, thanks for the files. I just checked them and there is indeed a difference in the import flow, let me share the reason.

The file called Joker contains a plate and letters placed on the same plane. In the meantime, the letters in Sira are placed on the top of the plate which is an important detail from the point of import. Multiple heights is the key here, this is why Joker was imported without the popup.

Not sure what you mean. It is the same plate, copied from one template in the same file, then shapr added the writing onto the plates. Both have the same height. No space between writing and plate. Whatever causes it, shapr causes it.

No problem, please see the differences in the picture below:

The upper one is Joker, where the plate and the letters are in one plane. The model at the bottom is Sira, where the letters are placed on top of the plate. The popup in Prusa slicer only appears if the models are placed onto different planes, this is why Sira has the popup only.

Yes. This is the result of the shapr export fault.

Please share the original Shapr3D design of the two nametags so that we can investigate the issue.

For what is worth I tried hard to switch to 3MF when it was first released in shapr3D but they just did not seem to play well with Cura. Now I only use STL. I am not sure what functionality I am losing but I have no problems printing with composite groups of STL which was not the same story with 3MF.

I am not sure if it was a shapr3D export issue or Cura issue.

1 Like

I agree with your thoughts here. I use PrusaSlicer which saves sliced projects in 3MF format. Therefore I find it confusing having 3MF projects and 3MF (STL) files in the same directory. For me, I find it best to export all my 3D print files in STL format after switching units to millimeters. I do all my work in inches. Also, using a Mac, I can see the STL files in ‘Finder’ whereas 3MF are not viewable.

1 Like

I deleted everything that is not relevant. Error remains the same. The two should be identical, as the base is a copy of the same template and the writing is added by shapr.

dev copy.zip (1.12 MB)