Features for laser cutting design

We have had a post about this going since 2017. I cancelled my membership because no dxf export. Both my laser cutter and my cnc require 2d files. They said this feature was coming in 2017 but nothing since. We continue to ask for an update however they ignore the posts. I have spoken directly to Shapr3D and the best they can do is say that they will relay my needs… it’s extremely frustrating to have built a great product but cripple it’s functionality without a relatively easy option.

Hi - first of all we are very sorry about the wait. Good news is that we have just released the DXF and DWG import/export today. Let me know what you think about it, and if it helps you integrate Shapr3D in your workflow.

For sketches only to be precise.

You can update in the App Store now :slight_smile:

In Shapr3d, can flat faces in a 3d model be projected to a 2d plane (for laser cutting)?

This was one of the original questions in this thread from 2018. I see that the dxf export is now available, but I didn’t see an answer to the above question.

I just started using Shapr3d. My previous cad experience is with microstation and inroads. If this can’t be done in Shapr3D, is there a suggested program that will take the dxf and project the planer 3d faces to one 2d plane for printing? My planer faces are at many different angles, so the suggestion of rotating 90 degrees would not work for me.

Love the user friendly Shapr3D with the apple pencil for creating 3d models! Thanks

Hi @Summer, yes, it can be done in Shapr3D. Any face, edge or shape can be projected onto a selected plane - even if it is a construction plane created by the user. Please take a look at this video, I hope it helps:

As you can see, there is no need for rotating the sketches from Shapr3D’s point of view. It may not be true from the point of any other DXF/DWG viewer. Exporting the sketch from the video will result in a sketch, that is placed on a non-origin plane. That can lead to the following issues if the viewer cannot handle custom sketch planes:

• The drawing will be opened as an empty file
  • The drawing will be projected automatically to the base plane of the viewer - which is the X-Y plane usually. This will simply make the sketch inaccurate by making circles elliptical, etc.

I would advise you to rotate the workpieces you wish to cut and make the projection to the X-Y plane to make sure the viewer can handle the sketch.

Thanks very much for the quick and informative response and detailed video!

I have been trying to work through the steps of:

1. rotating the workpiece I wish to cut
  2. making the projection to the X-Y plane

I made a very simple shape to demonstrate my attempt to rotate my projected sketch to the x-y plane:

1. Using “translate” to move one corner of the sketch to the origin.
  2. Using “rotate about axis” to rotate one side to x axis (this only worked because the original sketch was in line with the x axis). I rotated around the y axis for this step- best viewed from front.
  3. Tried using “rotate about axis” for the other side, but it only gets “close” with trial and error entering the angle change. I rotated around the x axis for this step- best viewed from the right.

I’m hoping there’s a better and more accurate way of projecting a sketch, which is not originally aligned with any axis, to the x-y plane.

Yes, there is, although it is not strictly related to the Project tool. There is a super powerful Align tool that makes it possible to align solid bodies to other solid bodies or sketches! With this tool the body can be placed onto a plane that is parallel with the X-Y plane, then the contour can be projected to the X-Y plane:

I’ve also sent through a request to support for a feature such as this, then I stumbled across this thread.
Exporting all lines and features on a face to svg or dxf would be extremely handy.
I also operate a laser cutter/engraver which requires 2d svg or similar files, however this would also be useful for profile cuts or area clearance cuts on the cnc, rather than 3D milling from and exported file.

It would be great if you could select a face, have an export button that would generate either a dxf or svg file of that face. This would include any lines or paths on that face and in the same plane (ie. if there was a “hole” through the face, it would add also export the circle path as well as the border of the face.

I’m a little surprised that this has been requested since 2017 with little to no movement on it. I was also informed by support that quiet a few people have requested it and it is coming soon?

Thanks so much for your help! These were great tips. It’s obviously not an instantaneous process for a multi-faced shape, but it works. It opens up all sorts of possibilities. Thank you!!

A couple of you in this thread have asked for SVG Export for laser cutting or routers like the Shaper Origin. You should now be able to export directly to SVG from version 4.9. You can read more about this release here: SVG Export local alternative - #9 by Seb_Shapr3D

2 Likes