Freeform

Hey guys, I’m new to Shapr and have been loving it so far. One thing that I can’t seem to find is any kind of sketching/freeform drawing features. I don’t have much CAD drawing experience but am very used to sketching out images in other vector/sketch programs. Do you guys know if this is something I’m overlooking or perhaps a feature that would be added soon? I’d love to be able to use this app for full 3D modeling rather than bouncing between sketch apps and other modeling programs. Thanks for your help!

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum!

The app currently does not have freeform drawing features and this is not in our near plans.
I understand that it’s rough and in the interim, the workaround will be to import the drawing from a vector sketch tool in DWG/DXF format.
We will start with supporting more vector formats like the SVG format(imminent) and hopefully in the future incorporate freeform drawing features into the app. I will also share your feedback with the team.

Have there been any updates to plans to add a free draw tool? Or even an image trace option like illustrator? I know people have been asking for this as early as 2018 and it would certainly bridge a big gap for more traditional free form artists. Even if I had to do my line drawing in a separate program and then image trace in shaper. I personally need more options to make script like text and filigrees

Just use illustrator and import as DFX. Their target is engineering/ CAD, not artistry. I use Corel Draw for any complex/ artistic work including curved text, modified text, logo creation etc. Their spline tools will never rival Illustrator or any other decent vector tool and are clunky to us that use them.

1 Like

Did not even know that was an option. Thanks!
I’m still trying to figure out CAD coming from a more traditional art background.

1 Like