Future possibility?

I have been using this app for a little while now and have come to love it for the most part. I feel like the workflow is much quicker than using Autodesk Maya ( for simpler 3-D models that is) but the one thing that I feel is lacking above all is texturing. That being said… I don’t think it should be a feature included with shapr 3-D… I have been trying to export my drawings/models to Maya but it is a nightmare as the polygon measures are translated horribly… It is almost impossible for me to get any texturing done on these models. I was thinking it would almost be worth you guys developing another app that can import shapr files and then texture them (possibly create an entire scene?) you could call it shadr 3d lol how rad would that be? As of right now I have yet to find any workable solution for texturing that doesn’t take all day so I am forced to create most of my models in maya still… anything in the works?

Hi,

Can you explain “polygon measures are translated horribly” a bit more detailed? What format do you use for exporting? Maybe you could attach a screenshot of the model made in Shapr and then imported in Maya.

Thank you!
Zoli

Thanks for the response! Basically, Ive tried importing as Stl and Step… When I import as stl Im getting traingulated faces and maya doesnt seem to want to convert them to quads. Its also importing DOZENS of nurb surfaces with each object. Basically, if I import one group, from shapr it opens as multipe nurb surfaces in maya making texturing a nightmare… I guess the best question to ask is this… what is your recommendation for exporting these files so that they will open as a workable poly model in maya? Ill take some screenshots for you and post them in just a sec…

This is what I get when importing as a stl in maya…

49%20AM

When trying to quadrangulate… nothing changes…

another angle…

26%20AM

This is what it looks like importing as step…

It imports as nurb but this is one shapr group… it splits it up into multiple nurb groups instead of one piece… texturing is a nightmare because all texture maps are segmented according to nurb group…
39%20PM

45%20PM

there has to be a better way to import these files into maya to make them more texture/shader friendly… can you guys walk me through how you recommend doing this process? I love Shapr… Id like to keep my subscription and use it frequently… but if I cant texture, rig, and animate my models… it does me no good… :frowning: