History-Based Parametric Modeling is coming to Shapr3D

Please don’t make acquisition by the evil empire a long-term plan, either! If they acquire Shapr3D, it will be too expensive, too cumbersome, and awful. I HATED my CAD classes in college because of Autodesk and their terrible software. When I taught SketchUp at the college level, and we looked at teaching AutoCAD, their pricing and support structure made it cost prohibitive for students. They’re more concerned about maintenance contracts and their authorized trainers than their customers.

Shapr3D has made it so I purchased an iPad Mini to keep in my purse to “play CAD” whenever I’m bored or stressed out. CAD and 3D printing is my happy place.

I also think that Autodesk is not a company with “true believers” in change, and they would eventually drop support for the iPad. I used to be a Systems Engineer at Apple, and they only begrudgingly supported a Mac version of the software…if it were up to them, they would have killed it. I don’t have faith that they would continue to support and develop Shapr3D to its full potential.

I’ll tell a quick story about Dyson I learned in my MBA program that I think is a lesson. James Dyson went to Hoover to sell his design for his groundbreaking vacuum that didn’t use bags. They turned him down. But years later, one of their executives said publicly that they wished they had bought Dyson’s vacuum and SHELVED IT, because it threatened their business model of selling lots of (environment destroying) vacuum bags. And now Dyson is a hugely successful company.

Just my two cents’. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Dear developer team
I loved Shapr3D from the beginning, and I still love this CAD software, especially since you do a great job. With the latest update introductions, it will be even easier to work with. These are real milestones that you have built in. You deserve a huge thanks for that. Bravo.

5 Likes

Thanks Schmid! Can’t wait to ship this!

5 Likes

I am looking forward to see this upgrade, and trying it out. I have had Shapr3D for three years now. I am not super proficient with it but I get by and have drawn and printed quite a lot of useful parts for my model making business. However I am really needing to get into developing complex parts, but to specific sizes and shapes, such shapes as car bodies and aircraft airframes. I have managed to do some parts but others I really do find very difficult to creat these shapes, I have used lofts and all sorts but do not get the results. I have looked and watched videos and tutorials on other CAD systems and surface modelling seems to be the way to go. I am not going to say that it will be easy, BUT it does seem to offer a solution to what I want to make. I feel Shapr3D has made a lot of development in developing 2D production drawings, and a lot in the rendering and surface texturing etc. and I am sure these are very helpful for many customers, and it is a good program for developing good what I call mechanical parts or very structured parts, but lacks in this complex area of surfacing.

Two questions,
will the new history based possibly help in this area
Or when will surface modelling make it to Shapr3D

Lastly is there any tutorial showing developing a complex type curved shaped car body or similar to represent a real life vehicle.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Hi Ali, adding more surface modeling features is not in our focus at the moment. We already have guided lofts, sweeps and G2 blends. For more sophisticated surface modeling, I’d look at specialized surface modeling tools.

Thank you Istvan for the reply and the direction. I would still be appreciative if someone on the forum could show me and I am sure other users some tutorials to create some of these shapes.
I have and do use guided lofts but maybe I need to explore the sweeps a G2 blends more. Any good tutorials on these

@Istvan Can you fix the beta sign-up form to accept email addresses from .net domains? I get an error message when I try to use the .net address my Shapr3D license is assigned to.

Hey – we just checked the form, thanks for reporting the issue! It does accept .net addresses, but it also performs a validation on whether that address can indeed receive emails based on domain configuration and other factors, and it looks like your .net address can not (the domain does not seem to be configured properly to receive emails). But it’s actually more important to sign up with a valid email address than to sign up with the same one that you use to log in to Shapr3D: we’ll send you links and updates via email and you can use those with your normal login.

On the other hand, if the .net email address indeed does not work, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team and transfer your account to the .com one to make sure we can reach you or you can reset your password if you need to do that later.

Is there a way to get these tool bars visible on the right side of the screenshot in windows as well ?

Hi @Aum , you can learn more about History-Based Parametric Modeling, and subscribe to the beta here

Attempting to avoid mere repetition of sentiments expressed by previous users. Consequently, I have opted for a more grand approach, expressing my feelings in a solitary word: “Iconic!” My utmost gratitude extends to Shapr3D for this long awaited feature.

• Printed Imaginations

Hope that the new improvements and developments don’t have a bad effects on us.
I like Shapr3D and stuck to it because simplicity and fun and a resonable price.
I can’t argue with you it’s your decision of course, as big companies only care that nobody can use good tools and programs except them so they don’t care about money and I think that you can change the vision to cad prog and make every one can design and create
Wish you good luck

1 Like

Any idea when this will launch and if it will launch with the ability to define user variables?

I went with fusion 360 earlier this year because these features were not present in shapr and I really need them, but I much prefer the user experience of shaper and the ability to have full-fledged CAD on my iPad. I have several projects I want to work on and I hesitate starting them in fusion 360 because I really want to see how shapr works out first.

Hi Nerdo, we are launching it later this year, and yes it will have variables :slight_smile: The beta is already being rolled out, and soon it will be more widely accessible.

I signed up for the Beta version, will Shapr3D email, me when I have it to test? I am in huge hurry just not sure how and when it will be available to me. Also do I keep my current version or once you make the change / upgrade then that is that? Just curious on how it works or will that be explained when I get Beta.

That’s great to hear, thanks for clarifying.

Is the beta only available to subscribers? I don’t have a shapr subscription [yet] but I signed up for the beta so I can re evaluate it. I’m wondering if I’ll just have to wait for the official roll out though.

No, if you signed up, you’ll get access in the next few weeks.

What is the current beta version on Test Flight and is it parametric Shapr3D?

Bravo Istvan, a dream come true for us, the designers and for you, the creator of Shapr3D. Patrick

1 Like