How can I prevent this inclination?

Hello,

so after having drawn a horizontal line and specifying the distance to the bottom line (254 mm) I tried drawing a second one and again specify the same distance. However when doing so, the second line will end up with a slight inclination as you can see here.

Why does this happen and how can I prevent that from happening?

Hi!

Instead of specifying the distance of the points, select the 2 lines, and specify their distance. If you want a point to remain in place, you can select them, and press the lock button just under the selected point.

Hi Lacy_Shapr3D,

thanks for your reply! :slight_smile: I just tried selecting the two lines but can’t specify the distance between the upper line and the one below that, because no distance is shown.

What do I need to do to see that?

Apply the “Parallel” constraint to the two lines. Then the distance indicator will appear when you select them. Unless the lines are intended to be parallel (and Shapr3D “knows” it), there would be no way to set a distance between them.

Also, you might find it convenient to turn on “Auto Constraint” to automatically apply the available constraints to your sketches when you draw them. You can remove unneeded constraints by selecting them and clicking the “x”. Depending on what you are drawing, this can be a real time saver or a hindrance. Thus the “switch” to use it or not as needed.

Hi!

Select only 2 lines, not all 3 at once, and enter the value you need, then select the other 2 :slight_smile: Parallel constraint should also be applied, that will make sure the lines remain as they should compared to eachother.

The tips @Steve wrote are also super helpful!

Hi Steve, thanks so much for your reply. What exactly do you mean by the “parallel constraint”?

This is what I see when I select the two lines. They are meant to be parallel / horizontal.

Hi Steve, OK, so I just saw the “parallel constraint” on the right hand side. But still can not see where I can specify the distance between these two lines.

Hi Steve, OK, I got it! :smiley: This case is solved! Thanks again, Zumen

1 Like

Zumen, I’m glad it worked for you. I’m no expert, but I have learned that there is almost always a fairly “easy” way to do pretty much anything you want to do – although it is often a little bit different from other CAD systems on the market. Usually, different in a good way, at least in my opinion.

I’m strictly a hobbyist, but I’ve dabbled with probably 8 or 10 CAD systems (including SketchUp and Fusion360) over the years. Shapr3D’s Direct Modeling method required a bit of a different mindset for me, but it is definitely worth it. For me at least, Shapr3D’s way of doing things is almost always easier, more intuitive, and easier to remember – at least it is after you have learned how to do it the Shapr3D way.

I suggest searching for some of the many excellent Shapr3D tutorials on YouTube. It will be time well spent. I personally recommend the ones by “Wayne State University Industrial Design Professor and Autodesk Expert Elite educator Claas Kuhnen”. He does a great job of explaining how to do things efficiently and provides dozens of tips on how to do seemingly difficult things very easily and accurately.

3 Likes

Hi Steve, thank you so much for recommending the Wayne State University Industrial Design youtube tutorials for Shapr3D. I’ll watch them to familiarize with the software.

Take care & thanks again, Zumen